First time with lump.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
After reading a lot of the pros and cons of using lump, I thought I would experiment with it this weekend. So, on Saturday, I loaded up the Bandera and spent the day cooking. And what post is useful without pictures.

The victim, a 5.5lb flat of brisket, known as Bri to her friends:
BrisketRaw2.jpg

Her roommate, "Fattie" after a coming off the dusty trails:
FattiesPrepped1.jpg

Did I mention Bri also went on that trail?
BrisketPrepped2.jpg

I started the lump by loading my Spicewine basket and firing up the MAPP torch. (Sorry no pictures) Once I got the several of the lumps in the first chamber going, I closed the lid and opened the vents and waited for the temps to rise.

At 10:20, Bandera temp was 150, so I loaded the brisket, fatties, some brats and some chicken. I figured the everything except the brisket would be ready by lunch. Here's a quick chart of the temps I saw though the day:

Code:
Time   Brisket Bandera
10:20    42      150
11:00    84      200
11:20    98      250
11:42   116      230
12:05   130      300
12:55   152      275
13:20   154      250
13:45   154      225
14:15   151      225
14:40   156      250
15:15   158      200
15:45   151      In oven.
At 15:45, I decided that I was losing the temperature in the bandera, so off to the oven to finish. In total, I used 20lbs of lump. I started with 10lbs and added the second 10lb bag at 13:45. The funny thing is that around 4:30, I noticed that the temps inside the bandera had risen back to 250 and stayed steady for several hours. I guess I pulled the meat out to soon.

So, here's the finished pictures:
Brisket:
CutBrisket.jpg

Brats:
BratwurstCooked1.jpg

Fatties:
FattieCooked2.jpg

The chicken didn't stick around long enough for me to take any pictures. :-D

What I learned:
Lump seems easier to work with than briquettes. It doesn't have the temperature swings that I noticed with the bruquettes, but you still have to watch over it.

I believe that I will be a lump convert from now on.

I remember my first time with a lump...

Oh... This is Q-Talk...

Nice looking food!

I like lump, but I think briquettes do better in charcoal baskets. In my experience, the briqs can be packed closer.(less air pockets). How was your temps & times compared with a cook using briquettes? And I run a fire for about 2 hours before loading a lit basket. It heats up the smoker nice and and good 1hr worth of wood smoke before I go with the basket.

Of course we have different smokers, but the concept should work for you.

Ty

I like lump, but I think briquettes do better in charcoal baskets. In my experience, the briqs can be packed closer.(less air pockets). How was your temps & times compared with a cook using briquettes? And I run a fire for about 2 hours before loading a lit basket. It heats up the smoker nice and and good 1hr worth of wood smoke before I go with the basket.

Of course we have different smokers, but the concept should work for you.

Ty

I found that the temps with briquettes in the bandera climbed to over 300 to quickly and I would have to open the firebox lid to let the heat escape. I didn't need to do that with the lump. The end result with briquettes was be a little quicker cook, but a smaller smoke ring and less smoke flavor. I liked the increase in smoke flavor with the lump and a more consistant temperature.

As for the taste from the cook, everything was juicy and delicious!

Back