first time smoken brisket

funniebear

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hi all, Last night was my first time smoking brisket on my gas vertical water smoker. Before I attempted, I read a lot of posts and searched a lot of sites for tips.

So here goes: Bought 17lb choice packer at Sam's club. Trimmed about 1lb to 1.5lb fat. Seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Wrapped with plastic wrap and put back in refrig for about 8 hrs.

At 10:30pm, put about gal of water in water pan, a chuck of hickory and fired up smoker, looking for 250-275. My smoker thermometer is pretty accurate. Tested by putting in boiling water. It registered 215. Outside temp was around 45. No wind.

Around 11, put meat in on rack which was about half way between water pan and top of smoker. My smoker has 2 doors which allows me to add wood chunks through bottom door. I started adding a chuck every 30-45 mins.

At 5hrs, internal temp was at 165. During that time, smoker temp fluctuated between 250 and 275. I wrapped in layer of parchment paper (didn't have butcher paper) and then tightly wrapped in foil. Being that I wanted to get some sleep, I brought it inside and put it into a 250 oven.

At about 8:00am, the temp was 205. I turned down the oven to 175. Still wrapped.

Question: I've read that it should take about 1hr to 1.25hrs per pound. Being that my brisket was at least 15lbs, my brisket already was at 205 at 9 hrs. I was expecting at least a 15hr cook time. I probed a couple of areas and spots and it feels OK, but doesn't like "going through butter".
I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Do I leave it in the oven at 175, until it feels like "going through butter". Do I turn temp up/down? Do I leave wrapped? Do I take out and place in ice chest? etc...

Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Well 205 should have been close... Not sure I'd risk turning it back up, but if you do, only for a short while to see if it'll probe more tender at 205-210 ish.

Either way, a longer hold at 170 ish in a cooler usually yields a better product for me.

Good luck.

Back