First time Smoked Turkey (pron)

That really looks like a home run ball to me! Just be careful on those bigger birds. I read somewhere that if you go over 10-12 pounds that it takes so long to cook that the bird could be in the danger zone too long. But that sure doesn't look like "Danger Zone" to me! :p

Thankfully had some advice from John (PattioDaddio) on that prior to the cook. As long as you are cooking above 325* the danger zone is not as much of an issue. I made sure the pit was good and hot with about 5+# of K and two splits of cherry before dropping the bird on. My Maverick digital thermo with wireless receiver helped me stay on top of any low temps.

Northwest and John,

No harm done on the pic banter, I appreciate the criticism of food pron from all angles (food or pic quality related). Heck, if nothing else I got a few bumps for the thread lol. My camera doesn't do well with the tight zoom but those are some of my favorite type of pics to post. Probably should mess with my camera settings until I hit the sweet spot for next time. Looking at one of the really nice Nikon digitals for the wife anyway, then my pics would probably get better! Thanks again, to both of you!

Back