First smoker: WSM or OK Joe's Bronco?

WSM. I have had mine for eight years. WSM is a great starter smoker. I have a Shirley Fab on order to step up my BBQ game.

WSM. They are fantastic cookers. I don't have a Bronco, but I am a drum fan (cook on them for comps - 4 55 gateways and a 30 Gateway for ancillaries) and a homemade UDS. I have used a Bronco. I was not impressed. So much so that I made the comment I wouldn't take it if it was free. Didn't hold temp, didn't want to get up to temp, etc. Maybe it just has to be run different than other drums. I'm not sure. However, I also was not interested in cooking on it more to learn.

Build a drum for under $100, or buy a WSM if you're in that price range. That's my 2c anyways.

A while back I was trying to decide between a WSM and a drum. What sold me was the WSM comes apart, which makes it easy to clean or transport. The learning curve was short and I love mine. I have an 18" clone from Lowe's (much cheaper) and a used 22" I picked up. Love them both. And don't we all need at least four or five smokers?

Cool thanks all! Looks like the WSM is the winner.

I’m not sure about the 22” for me though. I’ve seen the 18 and the 22 side-by-side in person, and the 22 seems absolutely gigantic for my needs. I’m only cooking for my wife and I (no kids…yet), and unfortunately it’s extremely rare that we have other people over. More often than not I could probably get by with the 14” WSM, with the exception of ribs or a whole brisket. A rib hanging kit fixes the rib problem, and I'll only be doing very small packer briskets.

I’ve also read that the 22 uses way more charcoal than the 18, something I’m not a big fan of. I only use high-quality lump charcoal, and I tend to smoke hot and fast most of the time, so I just can’t see paying so much extra (in the price of the WSM, as well all the additional charcoal over the life of the smoker) for the maybe 2% of the time I’d want something bigger than the 18. I figure I can always use the kettle with the SnS if I need to smoke more meat at once than can fit on the 18” WSM. Those are my thoughts anyway, but if there’s something I’m missing, I’m certainly willing to listen.

Cool thanks all! Looks like the WSM is the winner.

I’m not sure about the 22” for me though. I’ve seen the 18 and the 22 side-by-side in person, and the 22 seems absolutely gigantic for my needs. I’m only cooking for my wife and I (no kids…yet), and unfortunately it’s extremely rare that we have other people over. More often than not I could probably get by with the 14” WSM, with the exception of ribs or a whole brisket. A rib hanging kit fixes the rib problem, and I'll only be doing very small packer briskets.

I’ve also read that the 22 uses way more charcoal than the 18, something I’m not a big fan of. I only use high-quality lump charcoal, and I tend to smoke hot and fast most of the time, so I just can’t see paying so much extra (in the price of the WSM, as well all the additional charcoal over the life of the smoker) for the maybe 2% of the time I’d want something bigger than the 18. I figure I can always use the kettle with the SnS if I need to smoke more meat at once than can fit on the 18” WSM. Those are my thoughts anyway, but if there’s something I’m missing, I’m certainly willing to listen.

The 22" using more charcoal than the 18" is a myth because it's all about what charcoal method you use to begin with. The minion method will burn for many hours with a reasonable amount of charcoal.

Also, you may only need the 18" now but everyone knows that you always buy bigger because you don't want to do this purchase over again. Lastly, at some point you may want to do a 20#+ brisket or large turkey and you'll have difficulties getting it squeezed into anything less than the 22"

P.S. I'm not a Weber rep but just giving my 2 cents. :laugh:

I would get a Pit Barrel, but out of the two you listed I would get the Bronco.

I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the 18" I use mine more often than the 22, but still like them both. I also believe the extra-fuel argument is overstated. Rib Racks are also a way to go, and there's one that curves the ribs into a circle. You might want to check out this site:

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I had an 18” and a 22” wsm. I sold the 18”. The 22” is so much easier to fit ribs or other large cuts on.

I had an 18” and a 22” wsm. I sold the 18”. The 22” is so much easier to fit ribs or other large cuts on.

I have to agree.

I wish I had bought the 22in first, because if I had, then I would not have bothered with the 18in.

My brother let me borrow/keep his 18 when he was in between moves as he had nowhere to keep it.

I bought one myself and thus had two 18s. Mine and his.

This worked out fine. And then he came back a few months later and took his.

It became apparent at that point, how much I needed the 22 and so I bought one.

I have to say, I should have just gone ahead and bought the 22in first and skipped the 18in. But then again, perhaps not. My 18in now resides at a second home and is ready for me to use whenever I get there.

Back