THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chew1229

Found some matches.
I purchased boneless pork shoulder country style ribs at the local Costco yesterday. My plan was for the ribs to be my first smoke on the new Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the information I'm finding online for technique. Basically what I'm asking for is how would you do it. Would you recommend smoking at all for this cut and to what temperature?

Pork shoulders are one of the most forgiving pieces of meat. You decide what temp you want to cook at. 225* to 350*. The time will depend on the temp, and the size of the shoulder.

I apply a rub, then cook them indirect at 250 deg for about 3 hours. Whatever the cooker temp, an internal temperature of 175° to 185° is ideal.

I like to smoke Ribs at 275 but if the WSM wants to run higher or lower than that I'm ok with it, I don't wrap, don't mop and don't spritz. I have done all that in the past but over the years I have found I like to smoke Ribs with just a good dry rub and no sauce.

It doesn't have to be complicated to make great Ribs, you can smoke them at 225, some people smoke them at 300-325 and everything in-between the important thing is pulling them when the are done. I like to use the bend test but some people like to check tenderness with a toothpick.

Pork Butts are just as forgiving temperature wise just take longer cook.

Last edited:
All ribs must come with a handle. I use country rib meat to make pork burnt ends. Cut them into 1" chunks roll in rub and thread them on to skewers leave room between each piece. Cook indirect at 275 for 3 hrs remove the skewers and put them into a pan dust with more rub and a drizzle of sauce return to the pit and cook until the are caramelized on the outside & tender on the inside.
Pile them on a bun with more sauce and slaw.

Back