First Ham - basically happy with it.

That is the kind of ham I like.

Not that store bought candy ham that all the relatives think is soooo good.:tsk:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Well played sir!

I'm thinking you used the same cure recipe that I've used in the past and plan to do again this year. I LOVED home cured and smoked ham. No better way to go!!

:thumb:

• Thanks
It is addicting - I'm already thinking about the next one. :crazy:

The first cook was around 10 or 11 hours I think - maybe 12? I started around 150 cook temp, hung out there for a while, and ramped up to 200 until I got my finish temp of 155. I think I got that finish temp from the Ruhlman book, and that's what I understand to be the safe temp for the first smoke and that's what I finish sausage and bacon at as well. What's funny is I'll do pork loin, tenderloins, chops, etc. to 145, so maybe it's a little odd to finish these other cuts at 155 - I should probably examine that.

And yes, 8-10 on serving day. For the second smoke, you're really just warming it up to eat. I got the 135 coasting to 145 temp from Jim Minion's (yes, the Minion of the Minion Method :clap2:) post that I referenced in the OP.

I'll check out the Dizzy Pig recipe - thanks man!

Hey Toast - you and yer ham come ham it up with us!

Ruhlman's book says that the first smoke makes it right, but that the ham's BETTER after an overnight rest, which is why he recommends reheating it later for serving.

I've not tried to eat this recipe right off the smoker, but reheated it the next day. Not sure WHY it's better reheated, but I've always taken his advice. Curious if you've ever tried and noticed a difference in taste or texture PRIOR to reheating?

• Thanks
Ruhlman's book says that the first smoke makes it right, but that the ham's BETTER after an overnight rest, which is why he recommends reheating it later for serving.

I've not tried to eat this recipe right off the smoker, but reheated it the next day. Not sure WHY it's better reheated, but I've always taken his advice. Curious if you've ever tried and noticed a difference in taste or texture PRIOR to reheating?

The one time I ate a ham after the first smoke without cooling was the first one I did - it was a cured pork butt & I don't remember what recipe I used. I didn't think very much of it and enjoyed it more on subsequent re-heats. I can't really remember what it was that I didn't like about it after the first smoke, I just remember thinking it was just OK and being kind of amazed at the improvement that came from cooling off and reheating.

The one I did in this post has parts that are really good and other parts that are fine, but definitely more mild. I'm thinking that's due to uneven curing. I should have taken some pix, but there are places where you can easily see some parts that are more cured than others.

The Ruhlman book says to use a 12-14# ham and this one was 18 or 19#. I adjusted for the amount of days when brining, but I think with a piece of meat that big it's probably best to pump/inject.

I'm still eating this ham and really enjoying it. I will be doing this again - in fact I ordered a bunch of ham stockinettes and some hooks the other day. :whoo:

The one time I ate a ham after the first smoke without cooling was the first one I did - it was a cured pork butt & I don't remember what recipe I used. I didn't think very much of it and enjoyed it more on subsequent re-heats. I can't really remember what it was that I didn't like about it after the first smoke, I just remember thinking it was just OK and being kind of amazed at the improvement that came from cooling off and reheating.

The one I did in this post has parts that are really good and other parts that are fine, but definitely more mild. I'm thinking that's due to uneven curing. I should have taken some pix, but there are places where you can easily see some parts that are more cured than others.

The Ruhlman book says to use a 12-14# ham and this one was 18 or 19#. I adjusted for the amount of days when brining, but I think with a piece of meat that big it's probably best to pump/inject.

I'm still eating this ham and really enjoying it. I will be doing this again - in fact I ordered a bunch of ham stockinettes and some hooks the other day. :whoo:

A question: Do you/did you find a benefit in socking the ham and hanging it vs just plopping it on the grate?
OK....another question.... WHERE do/did you order the sockinettes and hooks from?
I don't have my vertical offset anymore, but I may be able to hang it in my UDS, or even the fiery furnace if there's a big benefit.

• Thanks
A question: Do you/did you find a benefit in socking the ham and hanging it vs just plopping it on the grate?
OK....another question.... WHERE do/did you order the sockinettes and hooks from?
I don't have my vertical offset anymore, but I may be able to hang it in my UDS, or even the fiery furnace if there's a big benefit.

I'd say the only real benefit is that it's slightly purtier due to not having grate marks on the bottom, but it's not that big of a deal at all. I mainly want to hang 'em because I'll usually be doing bacon and/or sausage at the same time so it just comes down to efficient use of space.

I ordered the stuff from Butcher and Packer Supply. They have all kinds of stuff!

Back