First Ham - basically happy with it.

Looks mighty fine, Greg. I'm headed over to the westside tomorrow, care to make me a sammich?

:mrgreen:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Looks mighty fine, Greg. I'm headed over to the westside tomorrow, care to make me a sammich?

:mrgreen:

Well since it's a little late for breakfast...

photo-13.jpg

A sammich would be the right thing. I'm basically around the house all day brother - gimme a holler if you wanna stop by & we'll get down on some sammiches. In fact - we have leftover turkey, plus the ham, plus I just made a batch of bacon, so I'm thinking club sammiches. :hungry:

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

Thank you for bringing us along from the beginning. That is a beautiful piece of meat, and a great cooked meal. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks
it's addicting for some reason isn't it?

look up dizzy pigs brine/injection recipe. i have had great results with that.

tell us more about the cooking, you cooked it until 155*? i imagine 6-7 hours, then another 8-10 another day? where did that idea stem from?

i found a moister/more tender product finishing @ 140*.

• Thanks
it's addicting for some reason isn't it?

look up dizzy pigs brine/injection recipe. i have had great results with that.

tell us more about the cooking, you cooked it until 155*? i imagine 6-7 hours, then another 8-10 another day? where did that idea stem from?

i found a moister/more tender product finishing @ 140*.

It is addicting - I'm already thinking about the next one. :crazy:

The first cook was around 10 or 11 hours I think - maybe 12? I started around 150 cook temp, hung out there for a while, and ramped up to 200 until I got my finish temp of 155. I think I got that finish temp from the Ruhlman book, and that's what I understand to be the safe temp for the first smoke and that's what I finish sausage and bacon at as well. What's funny is I'll do pork loin, tenderloins, chops, etc. to 145, so maybe it's a little odd to finish these other cuts at 155 - I should probably examine that.

And yes, 8-10 on serving day. For the second smoke, you're really just warming it up to eat. I got the 135 coasting to 145 temp from Jim Minion's (yes, the Minion of the Minion Method :clap2:) post that I referenced in the OP.

I'll check out the Dizzy Pig recipe - thanks man!

Hey Toast - you and yer ham come ham it up with us!

i see, you gave it some good, deep, long, smoke before ramping up to begin really cooking. dig it.

i guess i'm even lazier :becky:, i run the WSM @ 275*-300, with a good deal of wood to get nice strong blue for @ 4 hours. then let it ride out until @ 140*. usually 6-8 hours.

to reheat, fire up oven or cooker again but a bit hotter and pop it in for an hour or two.

i haven't done THAT many, so no expert.

oh, and if you missed them for some reason phrasty has some excellent cook threads regarding hams. he also answered a bunch of questions i had posted as well.

he'd be the expert.

• Thanks
"It was a hit at the dinner - even had vegetarians eating it."

^^^This would have been my the highlight of the day. Great job on the ham.

• Thanks
i see, you gave it some good, deep, long, smoke before ramping up to begin really cooking. dig it.

i guess i'm even lazier :becky:, i run the WSM @ 275*-300, with a good deal of wood to get nice strong blue for @ 4 hours. then let it ride out until @ 140*. usually 6-8 hours.

to reheat, fire up oven or cooker again but a bit hotter and pop it in for an hour or two.

i haven't done THAT many, so no expert.

oh, and if you missed them for some reason phrasty has some excellent cook threads regarding hams. he also answered a bunch of questions i had posted as well.

he'd be the expert.

I've been a Phrasty ham Phan for some time now! He's actually my inspiration with trying to do a ham in the first place.

And lazier than me? That's some rarified air right there. :heh:

"It was a hit at the dinner - even had vegetarians eating it."

^^^This would have been my the highlight of the day. Great job on the ham.

It was! They ate the pig candy too. :cool: They (a couple) are vegetarian, but they said they'll eat meat once or twice a year if it was something special. :thumb:

Greg that ham is a thing of beauty. Well done sir!! :clap2:
Glad to see you had a nice Thanksgiving. :thumb:

• Thanks
Back