First comp in bad weather!

Toxic q

Knows what a fatty is.
This is technically my second comp doing it by myself and they are calling for thunderstorms and100 percent chance of rain. I use 2 pop ups and 2 uds, don't have a trailer. Anything you guys can think of that I better bring or any tips for cooking in this weather? Not having cooked in thunderstorms I'm sure there's gonna be something's I wished I had but don't. Thanks

If your tents don't have side walls, I would get some or buy enough tarps so everything doesn't get wet. If it's going to be windy and you don't have stakes for your tents, get 4 or 5-5 gallon buckets from lowes or HD fill them with water and tie your tent down to the buckets. It will help to anchor them. I stake my tents and still use the buckets if it is windy, figure it can only help. I was at a comp last year and it stormed most of the night, I just kept it anchored down and the sidewalls up. I also kept anything I didn't want to get wet in my truck. Needless to say it was a long night.

Cooking wise the rain shouldn't bother the drums. If it is windy you will use more fuel to keep up temps so bring extra. Hope this helped a little and good luck!

Last edited:
If it looks like it will get really bad, especially with wind, you might consider renting a Uhaul box truck and setting up your work space (other than the smokers) in the back.

The real trick to this setup is to drive your normal rig to the comp then rent the Uhaul close to the competition site, hopefully you can find one within a couple of miles. Uhaul does not charge much on a daily basis but makes up for it in mileage. Since you would only be driving, hopefully, a few miles you are getting the truck and a dry, wind free place to work for the low daily fee (usually around $29/day for a 15' with a ramp) and a couple of bucks for mileage.

Either of the above options are what I would do. If it's just going to be a light rain I'd go with 5 gallon buckets full of water and keep everything else in the truck. (We use a van since it has more room)

If it's going to be very bad weather a Uhaul box truck is the way to go. Perfect setup to get out of the elements.

Good luck. It's a challenge to cook in the elements without a fancy RV or trailer but it can be done

We have been know to deploy what we call the RnQ-haul-abego at bad weather comps since we also cook under canopies and without a trailer.

Simply put, we rent a U-haul box truck very near the contest site, usually a 17 or 20 footer, set up our kitchen inside and then put the cookers off to one side of the truck with a canopy over them and strapped to the vehicle. It works very well and keep you out of the rain and blocks the wind.

We often find a rental location that is within 10 miles of the event site and you can rent any size truck that will accommodate your kitchen set up.

Great suggestions have already been given.

Depending on the type of pop-ups, buy some swimming pool noodles and arch them in the corners (will prevent pooling). Also, if you are cooking on grass, stop and buy a couple of bags of mulch to put on the ground, it gets swampy pretty quick walking in the same spot. Finally, talk to the organizer and ask to keep your truck/vehicle close, you'll want to get out of the elements as much as you can....enjoy the memories that will be made, it sucks at times but I find myself laughing and thinking, 'why the hell am I out in this', but keep going back for more :grin:

we are in the same situation this year. Rain doesn't scare me as much as wind. April of last year we had a competition with steady 30mph winds and constant gusts upwards of 60mph. we lost all 3 of our cheap 10x10 ez ups. Had to put our brisket box together in the back of my dads SUV... terrible time.

Just our luck the trailer we are having built won't be ready until next Tuesday. I think we are going to rent a High ceiling sprinter van from enterprise. It's more expensive than a uhaul but probably easier to work with.

we've certainly dealt with some bad weather at events and it ranges from extremely frustrating to scary. however, you have been given GREAT advice above and speaking from our own experiences, the things suggested above work and will help take an awful situation and turn it into a tolerable situation.

the only other thing I would add is this......just always remember it's just tents and food and a silly BBQ contest.....if the weather gets bad enough worry about yourself and stay safe and the hell with BBQ. not worth getting hurt over.

I think we are going to rent a High ceiling sprinter van from enterprise. It's more expensive than a uhaul but probably easier to work with.

I don't think there's anything easier to work with than an empty metal box with metal floors, especially when things get spilled. Also, the wooden tie down planks on the inside make great places to hang things like paper towel rolls, a clock, lights, etc. The shelf over the cab is very handy too. It's damn hard to beat at $29.95/day plus minimal mileage for a 17 ft. truck.

Lots of great suggestions. I used a standard aim and flame lighter until my first bad weather comp. I was way behind schedule to begin with and then couldn't get the lighter to work due to wind and rain. After 30 min a guy from a few sites down brought his mini torch over and fired up my starter cubes. I bought one of those torches on the way home from that comp and always take it regardless of the weather.

Also, if you end up staying in the two popups, bring some big spring-loaded clips. Where the two canopies meet, roll the bottom edges together and clip them up to make a "gutter" that's higher in the center than on the edges. This will encourage rain to run off to the sides instead of pouring down in between, but once things are really saturated you're going to get a few drips at the join regardless.

My 2 cents would include going to get a 10 X 10 square of cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting to put under the tent - you may or may not need it, but it could help from getting wet ground too muddy to walk on...

having been a tent team with some stormy contests under our belts, these tips above are all good. if you have to use tents, use the buckets and even tie off to a wheel on your vehicle if you can. you can wrap a tent leg with something like a towel if its positioned so that if could scrape. Side walls are a must. we used cheap tarps we cut to size and plastic zip ties to secure. we actually would always set these up, regardless of weather, and just roll them up when not in use. keep stuff you don't want to get wet in totes. Even if you think its in a spot that won't get wet, it will when the rain is sideways. Using clips to make a gutter between tents works well too.

On critical things have a backup. Like pharp said above, not being able to light your pit is a major problem. In Stuttgart last year, I had 3 matches to light the Jambo (with wood). The final rain count was 6+ inches, with 40 mph wind gusts. It took all three of those matches to get a flame going! I always have back up fire, thermometers, foil, gloves and a couple of spare knives.

Back