Firebox below the cook chamber on an offset?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
While just browsing Craigslist I found this reverse flow cooker that has the firebox in an odd (to me) place. seems like you would have a hot spot on the right side despite the fact it is reverse flow. Thoughts?

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/d/felicity-bbq-smoker/7103620739.html

00j0j_3q0freXBgup_600x450.jpg

Yeah it'll have a hotspot but it probably drafts nicely. I'd just put a couple of firebricks on top of the reverse flow baffle on that side and cook mostly on the left 2/3rds.

That's really more of a vertical than an offset, or maybe a hybrid. But I bet it did cook well.

I had a Lang 36. There is some overlap on those as well with a hotspot on the side over the firebox. It wasn't nearly as significant as the one in the picture. Maybe it is deceiving, but that seems to be a tiny firebox in relation to the cook chamber. I would not buy that without seeing it in action first.

I’d definitely check it out too! The end of the cook chamber is concave so I think it makes it appear to have more overlap than it actually does. There also appears to be some space between the chamber and firebox that may mitigate some of the heat transfer... Still it may have a hot spot as everyone has pointed out. I dont see a hot spot as a deal breaker though...

That's really more of a vertical than an offset, or maybe a hybrid. But I bet it did cook well.
There was a vertical tube between the firebox and then cook chamber. then a horizontal baffle across the cooking grate.

It was a really nice cooker. A week soaking in Katrina's saltwater was too much for it. I truly miss that pit.

Back