THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you have a fire extinguisher ?

• Yes I do - wouldn't cook without one

Votes: 68 64.8%
  • No I don't - havn't needed one yet

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A box of baking soda might work for a grease fire in your saute pan, but a pit fire? You might need a few of those orange boxes. Flour will do the same job as baking soda, is cheaper, is usually on hand at most all times (baking soda is something I have to remind myself to buy...flour is there all the time), and quantity of flour in the house is generally greater than that of baking soda.

If the fire can be put out with flour, use it. If that doesn't work, then resort to the chemical extinguisher.

I would suggest getting a WHITE, Kitchen approved unit!

Some of the dry chem reds units, you toss the cooker after you spray them. (or the stove, microwave)

Ask me, I might answer!

So if I use a red fire extinguisher on my grill I'd have to throw away my grill??? I'm so clueless.

A box of baking soda might work for a grease fire in your saute pan, but a pit fire? You might need a few of those orange boxes. Flour will do the same job as baking soda, is cheaper, is usually on hand at most all times (baking soda is something I have to remind myself to buy...flour is there all the time), and quantity of flour in the house is generally greater than that of baking soda.

If the fire can be put out with flour, use it. If that doesn't work, then resort to the chemical extinguisher.

OMG NEVER use flour. Flour dust is a major cause of commercial explosions, the particles are combustible. So if you toss some flour on a fire, the dust will most likely ignite before it hits it.

+1 on the gauge, I used to work at Amerex in the test lab, last thing you want is to pull the pin and have no pressure. Also if you can find a portable wet "K" FE and its affordable get it. It's the same thing that use over cookers and grills in restaurants and you want have to dispose of your grill just a good washing with a hose and probably scrape it down and re-season.

OMG NEVER use flour. Flour dust is a major cause of commercial explosions, the particles are combustible. So if you toss some flour on a fire, the dust will most likely ignite before it hits it.

You're absolutely right. If you toss the four into the air and onto an open fire, you will most likely get a quick burning explosion...just like you see on youtube.

Absolutely. One in the kitchen, two in the basement. One always nearby if I'm cooking outside. A few weeks back, an outdoor extension cord that was working perfectly fine got some water spilled on it and went off like a firecracker. It was a few feet away from my two year old. 30 seconds later, the fire was out. Without a fire extinguisher, well, I don't really want to think about the outcome of a fire on my wooden deck attached to my 100 year old wooden house.
(Chills......)

So if I use a red fire extinguisher on my grill I'd have to throw away my grill??? I'm so clueless.

I did! Some of the dry chemicals in red units are caustic, and require special cleaning.

I called my fire department and ask about cleaning, the chemicals in my unit were bad.

White units don't cost any more.

Back