THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you have a fire extinguisher ?

• Yes I do - wouldn't cook without one

Votes: 68 64.8%
  • No I don't - havn't needed one yet

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
5 on hand
1 in kitchen 1A 10BC
1 in laundry room 1A 10BC
1 in master bedroom 1A 10BC
1 in garage (5 lb) 2A 20BC
1 in shed (5 lb) 2A 20BC

A fire extinguisher on hand? Well, I usually have a fire extinguisher in hand. :mrgreen:

DSC07838a.jpg

I didn't think you were supposed to use water on a grease fire...:bolt:

Ya would be crazy not to.

I also keep a hose handy. Not for a grease fire, but for brush cause my bbqs are in the yard. When it is extra dry I wet the surrounding area before building a fire. Mostly cause I have an open pit.

Learned this the hard way. Im not even sure how but leaves far from the pit caught on fire. and grew large fast. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and sprayed, almost all it did was blow flaming leaves everywhere. It hardly put any out. I ran for the hose that I did not have at the ready and put the burning leaves out.

So from then on, Fire extinguisher check, hose check, change of underwear and pants check.

I have an 3/4" back yard hose that is always charged and ready for action whenever I bbq. It is more reliable, plus cleaner to use. One extinguisher is a one time thing, when it is out, you will have to recharge it, plus if you did not get the fire out, your screwed.

Yes in the garage..not too far away I guess

I have been to quite a few fires and had to deal with the injured, due to burns, were they had to go get something to put out the fire, but by the time they got back it was too big, causing various burns. it is always advisable to have something ON HAND, to put out the fire. Rule of thumb is, if you have to take more than 2 steps to get it, it is too far away.

Is it really worth not having fire suppression? I keep one handy

I have several around my home and outdoor area. I went for the 10lb CO2 bottles. The Dry Chem ones make one hell of a mess! so after the fire is out you just about have to throw away what ever you sprayed granted it didn't burn to bad before you put it out. Dry chem will also pit steal if not cleaned off. The CO2 will allow you to eat your burnt turkey if you had too :becky: and it will chill down a hot 6pack to ice cold in about 10 seconds flat :heh: That said any extinguisher is better than none!

After being a volunteer firefighter for a long time and seeing how fast a fire gets out of control and spreads, I absolutely have fire extinguishers handy anytime there's a fire of any kind present.

I've seen too many homes burned to the ground that could have been saved with the use of a $15 fire extinguisher.

Chuck

I would suggest getting a WHITE, Kitchen approved unit!

Some of the dry chem reds units, you toss the cooker after you spray them. (or the stove, microwave)

Ask me, I might answer!

I live in a townhouse. My yard is my rooftop deck. I grill, smoke, and everything in between on my yard/deck. So yes, I have a fire extinguisher and a hose at the ready.

I keep one in the kitchen.

I keep one in the garage.

I keep one in the master bathroom.

and my house has a sprinkler system.

Fire is scary.

Back