Finally!

elm

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Well, I FINALLY did it. After many brisket "fails", many hours of lost sleep, and many vows to never smoke again, I nailed my first brisket.

You guys were right. "Quit watching the IT and cook until probe tender," you said. I heard you, but for whatever reason I didn't trust that that would work. Or maybe it was that I didn't trust myself to know what the perfect "probe tender" felt like.

This last time I pulled the temperature probe at 200 and checked it for probe tender every 45 minutes to an hour or so after that. Once that flat felt like butter all over, I pulled that thing out and let it rest on the counter for 20 minutes or so before slicing it and...MONEY. For the first time, my brisket flat wasn't dry and tough. It was so juicy and tender. Now, my slices were just a TINY bit overcooked so when I hung them over my knife they broke off. But they still had enough texture to call my endeavor a raging success.

BBQ brethren, thank you. Thanks for reminding me again and again that cooking a brisket has everything to do with probe tender and nothing to do with a magic IT. You guys (and gals) rock.

Sincerely,

Eric from Nampa, Idaho

Congratulations Brother! I remember nailing a brisket for the first time and there's nothing more satisfying than seeing the whole plan and time spent pay off.

Eric, we have all gone through the same in learning where a Brisket is "Perfect". Congratulations on the WIN !!!!

• Thanks
Reactions: elm
glad to hear! Always satisfying to nail a cut of meat that's been giving you fits.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: elm
What a nice note and salute to the Brethren. I haven't been here long enough to have had an impact on your cook, but your gratitude reminds me of what a Brother/sister-hood is all about. Sharing our common experiences with others builds bonds that last.

Glad to hear of your success brother! There's a collective knowledge here that is unmatched anywhere else, in my opinion, and a willingness to share that knowledge.

Back