THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I own several Bosch power tools, and Bosch dishwasher that is so quiet, you think it's broken. I've been really pleased with them all.

I went with the old standard mixer, the Kitchen Aid. I love it. I hope that Bosch works out for you. It certainly looks different than the traditional mixer.

Thanks guys... Yes, 800 watts, not horsepower...

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I like the dual dough hooks, I bet that does a better job and the dough won't keep riding up the hook like on a standard mixer. Let us know how you like it!

that's one of the things I heard...advantage of not riding up the hook.

Very cool. Enjoy the new toy.

By the way, I like anchovies on my pie. Just say'in, you know, in case I
ever stop by to eat. :becky:

anchioves on pizza - YUCK !!!

sweet lookin' mixer! Do you have the KA pizza flour? I hear caputo 00 flour is the way to go. Good luck. Some awesome pron must be on the way!

no.. I did not buy the blend.. it costs more and is not the mix of flour I want.. plus they put some baking soda in that.. Caputo 00 is what you need for neopolitan pizza at really high heat. I'm gonna try those after, but for now, I'm shooting for a gluten level of 13% or so. Going to work with the bread flours at 12.7% and then the higher gluten Sir Lancelot and then mix the two at different proportions.

Pffft 2 miles away and I never had one, good luck

:drama:

That sounds like a great mixer. Do you have the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day"? Great book with a lot of information.

very nice! KABF is good stuff...that is what I have been using. I have not tried KASL yet, as I cannot find it here. I have been also been using the bread flour from sams (25 lb bag). Not sure of the protein content, but I think it is around 12-13 - it has not produced as nice a crust for me yet, but I am still trying. let us know how you like that mixer...I like em alot...the wife thinks the KA we have is just fine though:(

We have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, a Cuisinart Food Processor, and a blender of some sort taking up space on our counter (each with their own motor). I'm thinking I may have to show this to SWMBO and see if she might be interested in trading up...

Thanks for sharing! :becky:

received the mixer today.

very impressed already from appearance and running the motor without anything in the bowl.

hoping to get started with first batch of dough over the next few days.

I made my first batch of dough this morning with the Bosch.

Here's some pics

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/MilitantSquatter/dough/

KA bread flour
63 % hydration (filtered water - room temp)
2% sea salt
. 4% SAF instant yeast

initial mix was 75% of dough with the water, yeast and sea salt for 1.5 minutes. My initial impression here was that based on the position of the dough hooks that the dough gravitated toward the center pole and the vertical portion of hooks were not making too much contact but the horizontal tips which are at the bottom and point to the center were.

At this point I let it rest for 20 minutes... then re-started mixer and added in remaining flour and let mix for 7 minutes. At this point, their was more volume and it appeared dough hooks were making better contact. Let rest again for five minutes and then shaped and portioned.

Final weights of balls were 337 g/each and temp of dough was 84 degrees

rest again for 10 minutes and now into the fridge

Overall I was pleased but I think next time I will mix enough for 5-6 same sized dough balls to see if it it makes more direct contact.

Last edited:
I made my first batch of dough this morning with the Bosch.

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/MilitantSquatter/dough/

KA bread flour
63 % hydration (filtered water - room temp)
2% sea salt
. 4% SAF instant yeast

initial mix was 75% of dough with the water, yeast and sea salt for 1.5 minutes. My initial impression here was that based on the position of the dough hooks that the dough gravitated toward the center pole and the vertical portion of hooks were not making too much contact but the horizontal tips which are at the bottom and point to the center were.

At this point I let it rest for 20 minutes... then re-started mixer and added in remaining flour and let mix for 7 minutes. At this point, their was more volume and it appeared dough hooks were making better contact. Let rest again for five minutes and then shaped and portioned.

Final weights of balls were 337 g/each and temp of dough was 84 degrees

rest again for 10 minutes and now into the fridge

Overall I was pleased but I think next time I will mix enough for 5-6 same sized dough balls to see if it it makes more direct contact.

Looks good! I have been doing Lehman style NY pies lately, but next up on the docket is Verasano style pies - I read over his website and he uses a much higher hydration ratio (even he claims he does not know what it is?) then street style NY pies. I believe his is more in the Patsy's mold of pies....I imagine that Bosh does quite a bit better job then a standard KA mixer?? Be sure to post some pics of the finished pies!

Looks good! I have been doing Lehman style NY pies lately, but next up on the docket is Verasano style pies - I read over his website and he uses a much higher hydration ratio (even he claims he does not know what it is?) then street style NY pies. I believe his is more in the Patsy's mold of pies....I imagine that Bosh does quite a bit better job then a standard KA mixer?? Be sure to post some pics of the finished pies!

The overall process I used was similar to Varasano's but mainly with the Wet Kneading Technique with Autolyzse.

The differences here is that I did not using a sourdough starter as he outlines (two reasons : 1) want to get the rest of the process w/ the mixer to my liking first, and 2) I've had six of his pizzas at his restaurant over three visits and while the pizza is excellent, I can't honestly say I don't notice a major flavor difference in the crust compared to other excellent crusts I've had

I also chose to start with a slightly lower hydration at 63% figuring that is a bit more "normal" - not too dry and not too wet and I can adjust on the next batch based on the response I see with the temps in the BGE.

Last edited:
So yous guys don like oil in your dough recipe? At's ok. But us left coast Italians like it! Makes my dough silky and flavorful. An whats wid no New York tap water? Fancy shmancy filtered water?

So yous guys don like oil in your dough recipe? At's ok. But us left coast Italians like it! Makes my dough silky and flavorful. An whats wid no New York tap water? Fancy shmancy filtered water?

Funny Tom !!!

I've chosen not to add oil or sugar.. those two ingredients are generally excluded from the type of pizza crust I'm trying to get closest to.

As far as the water... If I was at my grandmothers house in Brooklyn, I might consider taking home a few jugs of NYC tap water to test, but on Long Island drinking water comes from underground aquifers - a different source than NYC tap water which comes from the Catskills. The LI water goes through rigorous testing but many still claim it could be one of the reasons for the above avg rate of breast cancer in women. So we generally have either LI water through a Brita filter or bottled water just to play it safe.

Last edited:
I've been wanting a high quality mixer for a while to make pizza doughs.

After several months of procrastination, reading reviews and saving some extra $, I've decided on a Bosch Universal Plus mixer (over the Electrolux DLX and the Kitchen Aid Pro)...This coupled with 20 lbs of King Arthur flours should start me off OK.

should be fun !!

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I love our Kitchen Aid, but the more complex the pizza dough becomes the less I like it. For a basic dough, it's no problem to whip up enough to do 4 medium to thick crust pizzas. Results for thin crust haven't been as good....

OK, I'm just building a case to buy a sheeter:laugh:

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I love our Kitchen Aid, but the more complex the pizza dough becomes the less I like it. For a basic dough, it's no problem to whip up enough to do 4 medium to thick crust pizzas. Results for thin crust haven't been as good....

OK, I'm just building a case to buy a sheeter:laugh:

Seriously Jorge?

I am watching this thread closely as I really want to try and make a few pizzas on my BGE.
I guess I just need to stay home for a couple days to really give it a shot here.

Back