In the market for a grinder. Kitchen Aid attachment or stand alone?

Quick grinder question - should one have a separate knife to pair with each individual grinding plate, or is it OK to use the same knife with multiple plates?

I bought my grinder from Northern tool and i knew it wasnt a high end model. It worked ok and i used it a lot. After a while i figured the blade could use a little touch up so i got a flat piece of glass and some sandpaper to sharpen it. After i got it nice and sharp i put it on the plate and saw that it wasnt sitting flush. I had to sand the plate till it was flat so check the fit of the blade against the plate because some of them might not be a perfect match and that can cause the meat to be mushy.

Looks great, and sounds like a great plan! Report back, please.

Will do Ed.
I have the brisket and shoulder thawing in the fridge, hopefully it'll be thawed enough to cut by Saturday. Supposed to be windy and snowing here, so a productive way to spend a lousy weather day.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I got to finally fire this thing up over the weekend.
I didn't get pics due to having meat covered hands. The before and after pics are just pics of raw meat, so I won't bore anybody with them.
As with any new tool, I learned a few things as I got farther into processing the brisket and shoulder. (The second shoulder stayed in the freezer for now.)
First thing I learned was don't cut the meat into the largest size strips that will fit down the hole. Stick with the recommended 1"X1" size. While strips work well, too large of a strip will take longer to grind than 2 or 3 smaller ones.
Nearly frozen meat grinds like a dream! The brisket was mostly thawed, the shoulder nearly frozen. After cutting up the brisket, I used the WSKO and touched up my favorite knife for the shoulder. It went through the frozen meat without any hesitation and nearly effortlessly. The shoulder went much faster, of course the meat itself has less connective tissue than the brisket as well.
I washed , dried and put the grinder head in the freezer any time there was a pause in the action.
The grinder did slow down noticeably while grinding, but never stalled or got the least bit warm. I wish it had just a bit more power.
I ended up with 14lbs of ground brisket and about 8lbs of ground pork.
I was going to make a batch of brats mostly just to compare stuffing with the grinder vs the jerky shooter I've been using.
However Mrs. Fan wanted sweet Italian sausage for pizza and spaghetti sauce instead, so I didn't get to stuff any casings with it. Happy Wife= Happy Life= No Brats for Me!
I ended up making 5lbs of Italian and 3lbs of breakfast sausage. I used Hi Mountain Original Mountain Man seasoning for the breakfast sausage and a recipe I found online for the Italian.
I coarse ground everything, added and mixed the seasoning and then ran it through the finer plate.
I'm pretty happy with both and more importantly, Mrs. Fan says both are the best she's had, so that means I have the green light for more sausage making adventures.
We had brisket burgers last night and she insisted that I cook them on the BS 36. She loves the food off of that thing as much as I enjoy cooking with it!
Still looking for a deal on a stuffer as I plan to stock up on brisket and shoulders every time I find a sale, these were .99/lb for the shoulder and brisket was 1.99/lb.
Pretty sure the next session will go smoother as I learn what order and how things work best for my set up.
Thanks to all for the great advice!
Terry

Last edited:
I have a Carnivore #8 and its nice for for the large hopper, but next time a do a large batch of sausage, im buying a dedicated stuffer.

Still on sale, picked one up based on your recommendation. Thanks for the tip.

Back