Figure it Out BEFORE You Buy....

Do you wanna burn Charcoal or Wood? Not to pick on anyone in particular but I see A lot of guys on here , on other forum and on Youtube Buy a Wood Burning Offset Smokers then they want to make them run on Charcoal. It don't work like that - if you want a Charcoal Smoker BUY a Charcoal Smoker - UDS, WSM, PBC- Cabinet Smoker EtC. If you BUY a WOOD BURNER then PLAN on Burning WOOD. :shock:

Ya some Fellars have gotten some offsets to run Good on Charcoal n Wood Chunks in a Basket but that's not the norm.

Do ask yourself if you have access to Wood or Do you want to have to buy Wood by the 1/4 cord , 1/2 cord or cord, Is there any a wood to buy around me and do I wanna tend a fire every 45 minutes? If you answer no to any of those Questions don't buy an Offset. :wink:

If you do decide you can buy/ get wood and like tending a fire then make sure your post your buy and mods and cooks with plenty of pics!!! :biggrin1:
Man I've been crying out from the wilderness about that for eons! You have no idea how nice it is to hear someone else say it for a change!:clap2:

I have been burning sticks for many, many years I have yet to experience old smoke stale smoke or rancid smoke. I think different regions must like different amounts of smoke on their meat. I live in the south and for me I want a certain amount of smoke on my meat, there is a line I do not like to go beyond. I like it, all my folks like it, and all my friends. Heck they must I do big cooks a lot and never had nar a complaint. I say run whatever your heart desires as long as you get the desired results and you and yours are happy. I just like to have fun!!!!!!

No wood chunks at all? That's just un-American! :heh: I go with Marty's technique, basically; four or five hours in the WSM - with wood chunks in my case - and then it's off to the oven! Once you wrap those butts they don't know where they are! :thumb:

op was referencing fuel. I do use wood chunks, but for flavor, not fuel:thumb:

In my BSKD, I always start with a Weber chimney full of lit Kingsford Blue for my initial coal base. For the rest of the cook, I add nothing but small splits and chunks...depending on what's available at the time. I will also say that I keep a few splits and chunks on top of my firebox. When it is time to add, I pull from there. Typically, I will only add one split or maybe two chunks at a time. This keeps my fires very small, hot and efficient.

When I was first learning to use my BSKD, I tried to use charcoal 100%, but I could never "maintain" the temp I needed, so I started using splits and chunks for my main fuel. Once I have foiled, I will add lump sometimes, if I am running low on chunks and splits.

IMO, if the pitmaster can make charcoal work in his stick burner, then more power to him. Now that I have my cooker dialed in and I know what fuel works best, I do not consider other fuel options for my cooker.

My 2 Cents

I've been running My okie joe since 1993. Iv'e burnt a lot of wood, learning how to make it work. Experimenting with charcoal and wood.
I make my own lump charcoal now out of oak and cherry, and have found using the pieces that didn't quite finish out "turning to lump charcoal" works perfectly for adding smoke to the food I am cooking.

I agree though with what SmittyJonz says, know what you want and need before you jump in with the big bucks and then wish you hadn't have done that.

I agree w/ the basic premise of the OP- it's good to know beforehand if you can get and store the wood your stickburner will need and if you're willing to "babysit" your pit.

That said, as I'm learning this hobby, I've used charcoal (first KBB as a newbie, then lump later as an older, wiser newbie :wink:) more times in my Cimarron than sticks and I've used my WSM more times than the Cimarron.

It's a process, and I figure from next spring on it'll be only sticks in the stickburner (w/ maybe a lump coal bed to start.)

It's been easier for me to maintain constant temps. w/ charcoal than splits, but I expected this as part of the learning curve.

No big deal.

If you buy a STICK BURNER expecting to get by with charcoal but find out your having problems that just lead to frustration and a bad expierience...you will soon learn you would have been better off with a unit designed for charcoal.

When I bought my Lang I new what I was getting into(prior experience). I spend 8-10 every couple weeks processing wood to burn in my stickburner and as far as I'm concerned it's just part of the "romance" of running a stick burner. It's a lot of work but part of the fun and something I understood from the very beginning.

Nothing wrong with charcoal, if you want a set it and forget it smoker. and if that is your preferred fuel....buy a WSM, save yourself a lot of time and frustration and be done with it.

Yep I agree, it's the learning curve, and also you have to love playing with fire when running an offset or the better term, babysit, but I love fire so mine is for me!

Nice thread thanks for bumping.

I do shake my head when I read a post where someone spends 20-30 bucks on fuel for one cook.

I grew up cooking on a big ole stick burner so that is about all I know. To me wood is and always will be king. Cooked on grill over wood fired camp fires when camping. I thought charcoal was for steaks and dutch oven cooking.

Its all about managing the fire and getting a good base of coal and adding splits to maintain the coal base. For me it's salt pepper a little garlic and oak smoke is the basic of all good Q. Just smoke and let the meat flavor come through.

However charcoal and chunks seems to work well if your injecting, brining, tons of rub and triple sweet glazes that mask the flavor of the meat. They both have a place just depends on your preference.

Go to Franklins, Mullers, or a real BBQ joint and look for their charcoal bends.

I tried charcoal with splits but didn't see an advantage to justify the cost of the charcoal. I can't agree more about sourcing your wood before you buy. I can get oak all day long but drive 50 miles to get a pickup load of seasoned hickory and cherry. Also there is no way to beat the time it takes to feed the beast, you either love it or not.

Toast, You need to post more! I love that avatar! (Except she needs OU)

Anyway, I kind of miss my stick burner, but I FARKING LOVE MY CHARCOAL SMOKERS!

I did the proper research on what to buy...good post!

I love bbq from stick burners, but don't have the patience to tend the fire. As a rookie, I started with a wsm after reading tons of forums and posts here. I wanted a "real" fire and wood bbq. I cooked on it for 2 years before I was ready for an upgrade. I enjoyed the set it and forget it style of cooking, especially on overnight cooks (I could get some sleep). I also enjoyed the wsm's ability to burn for 16 hours and hold temperature. My natural upgrade would be to a cabinet style smoker, so I went with an insulated cabinet smoker. It made perfect sense, and the decision was perfect. I could cook more and set it and forget it.

A lot of time was spent researching on what was right for my style of cooking...apart from learning a new smoker, the transition was quite simple, and back to cooking some amazing bbq for family and friends.

I could not agree more.. I have my weber gasser with rotisserie which i use most of the time and did my research for a smoker... I bought WSM 14.5 for my needs and could not be happier.. Easy to use, holds temp well, easy clean up and is great for the occasional smoke session on the weekends when I have time... Perfect for me.

Great Thread!!! I love my Shirley! That being said, sometimes a stick burner can be a pain in the butt. I usually am pumped to get up really early and tend the fire through the early hours. Sometimes I just want to sleep, but can't. I am ALWAYS happy with the results! I also have a pellet pooper for those times when I cant tend a fire, but want some smoked meet for dinner. It doesn't taste the same though. Good, but different.

If you buy a stick burner and don't want to babysit it, you are wasting your money!

You know folks, just when I think that I know a little about this business, a thread like this pops up, and I realize that I don't know squat!

No offense intended, but you folks confuse me.

signed, The New Guy from WNY

Back