Figure it Out BEFORE You Buy....

I put abase of charcoal and then go splits from there on. Seems to work well.[/QUOTE

same here and occasionally I might throw in a basket of charcoal along the way.... why just cause I feel like it........ but mainly splits some green some dry and some in between..... and it works for me. To each his own!!!!!

currently I'm all weber, and all charcoal. to keep the message short, I've owned/cooked on several different style/fuel usage grills/smokers. based on my experiences and research, I now own Buddy and the Bullet. Buddy is my modded 18.5" weber kettle, the bullet is my unmodded 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. between the two I can cook a lot of food. and, since they're both charcoal, I only stock one type of fuel.

currently I'm all weber, and all charcoal. to keep the message short, I've owned/cooked on several different style/fuel usage grills/smokers. based on my experiences and research, I now own Buddy and the Bullet. Buddy is my modded 18.5" weber kettle, the bullet is my unmodded 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. between the two I can cook a lot of food. and, since they're both charcoal, I only stock one type of fuel.

No wood chunks at all? That's just un-American! :heh: I go with Marty's technique, basically; four or five hours in the WSM - with wood chunks in my case - and then it's off to the oven! Once you wrap those butts they don't know where they are! :thumb:

Sorry if this has been discussed but the smoke is soaked in during the first couple hours so how about 2-3 hours in the stick burner and then off toe the Big Green Egg and I go to bed?

Have done a similar method starting off with my Klose then finishing for the long haul in the WSM.

IMO if a person wants to use charcoal, wood, or whatever it's their choice. When a person is more experienced with bbq it doesn't make them the bbq police.

So if that person wants to use charcoal (no matter if it works or not) it's their choice and not anyone else's problem but theirs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's all there is to it.

I have never owned or cooked on a smoker that I could not do both, heck I even use wood on my gas grill. Charcoal will give a more even temp control if set up right, wood can be more challenging. If you don't have a good source for wood, then that is one thing to keep in mind, along with a place to store it.
Dave

It is easy to oversmoke your meat in a stickburner when just burning wood if you don't burn the wood down to coals first which is a real pain in the a$$. This makes a good case for using lump charcoal along with a few wood chunks.

It is easy to oversmoke your meat in a stickburner when just burning wood if you don't burn the wood down to coals first which is a real pain in the a$$. This makes a good case for using lump charcoal along with a few wood chunks.

I agree that if you let the wood smolder you will get a bad smoke, but you don't have to burn wood to coals prior to using. With proper fire management and seasoned wood, you can load splits all day long and maintain thin blue smoke. My splits ignite within seconds of loading, never smolders (unless I'm drunk)

I agree that if you let the wood smolder you will get a bad smoke, but you don't have to burn wood to coals prior to using. With proper fire management and seasoned wood, you can load splits all day long and maintain thin blue smoke. My splits ignite within seconds of loading, never smolders (unless I'm drunk)

I'm in total agreement with you. I've never over smoked meat on a stick burner. You've just got to keep that thin blue .

I tend to see more over smoking (at least from an acrid tasting perspective) happening in barrel/bullet cookers due to the way smoke circulates in the lid. A properly ventilated stick burner with properly cut (thin) seasoned splits will roll TBS all day.

I tend to see more over smoking (at least from an acrid tasting perspective) happening in barrel/bullet cookers due to the way smoke circulates in the lid. A properly ventilated stick burner with properly cut (thin) seasoned splits will roll TBS all day.

Splits.

Back