THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T

trouserchili

Hey all, been awhile. Had a baby, bought a house, poor as hell and a friend just unexpectidly gave me a Christmas gift...some nice spices from a local gormet spice house. I need to return the favor, and as such I'm cooking him a brisket. I've got some Oak, but it don't quite taste right the last time I used it. I've also got some Hickory and Mesquite available. Right now I'm leaning toward the Mesquite, but I'm open to suggestions. What's your favorite wood for a Brisket? I'm thinking of using the following rub, but adjustments are welcome.

2 tablespoons celery salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Thanks guys, it's a 15 pounder if anyone is interested.

I'm with Al and TK. I prefer to use pecan, and add a little mesquite for flavor. mesquite burns too hot and fast for my lazy ways.

I use apple and cherry because that's what I have the most access to. If given a choice I'd use pecan. Anybody want to trade some pecan for apple and or cherry out there?

Indeed go light with the mesquite wood. Use a little but try to mix in that Oak or if you can some Pecan or Hickory!

Goodluck. Once I get some free time here from work I am going to cook me a brisket and some other goodies.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Oak and Cherry - Oak is a very nice brisket wood.

Smokeem'

Either an Oak Hickory mix or Cherry for me. The Oak mellows out the strong Hickory flavor.

Actually I prefer Morning Wood to them all! ( Good Hard Wood---Cat couldn't scratch it mod.) 8)

Back