Favorite firewood splitter?

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
What’s your favorite firewood splitter? I’m talking about the kind with a blade pointing up inside a ring. You put a stick in the ring and pound it down on the blade with a sledgehammer.

I see several of these on Amazon, and wonder which brand you like most.

Kindling Cracker. Works great on straight grain splits. Little tough with knots in them. Need a solid base to put it on though.

And spring for the xl. I have the regular and it works great when the splits fit into the ring

Yup - Kindling Cracker. I had the regular size. Used it when I had a WF pizza oven.
Invented by a girl in Australia.

Last edited:
Mine is an off brand but it looks similar and works just like the kindling cracker at a more reasonable price.

Just looked. Bodrum Wooden id the brand name.

I bought a large cheapish knock-off kindling cracker that worked ok but had a lot of smaller splits that I wanted to reduce down to kindling that wouldn't stay upright in the knock-off so I bought an original Kindle cracker. The original works much better; the blade seems to grip the split better so it's less likely to try to go sideways and the splits are less prone to getting stuck. The blade is more complex on the original than the knock-off.

Pay the extra and get the real kindling cracker that made down under - not only are you supporting the girl who created it, you're getting a better tool.

I had the Kindling Kracker in North Carolina and loved it, but left it behind when I moved (along with my wood pile). I bought an off brand when I got to Texas (save money, right?) and it was garbage...yeah, it worked, but the blade was dull out of the box and with the iron circle around it, it made it very difficult to sharpen. I stopped being a moron and bought the XL Kindling Kracker and haven't looked back...absolutely love it.

I bought the XL kindling kracker as well. Seems to work just fine… haven’t had it long but it certainly gets the job done.

Same one.

Can't go wrong with the Kindling Cracker XL. I own one and it's worth the money.
Kindling Cracker XL

I bought the same one....I got mine for $99, seems to be $119 now.

I got mine during Prime days, but...it wasn't listed as being a Prime special nor on sale at all I don't believe....

Anyway, I got that and a 3lb hammer that another forum member recommended, and it was a Prime Day special....

Now...just gotta get wood......and a smoker...

;)

C

I have an XL Kindle cracker. Works pretty well (buying a bigger hammer helped) but I still spent quite a bit of time/energy wacking away on oak splits to get them down to the "coke can" size I wanted for my offset.

Then, I bought a WEN electric splitter (after using my nephews when I was visiting him). ~$350 and it'll split a split so easy it's actually fun! I just used it on full rounds of white oak from a neighbors huge tree he took out and it worked really well (and we now have tons of oak splits seasoning). Electric means no gas/carb so, I can put it away for a few years and it'll work when I need to split more wood.

Of course, if you're not needing much wood, the kindle cracker works.... :)

I bought the same one....I got mine for $99, seems to be $119 now.

I got mine during Prime days, but...it wasn't listed as being a Prime special nor on sale at all I don't believe....

Anyway, I got that and a 3lb hammer that another forum member recommended, and it was a Prime Day special....

Now...just gotta get wood......and a smoker...

;)

C
That is too funny!

And spring for the xl. I have the regular and it works great when the splits fit into the ring

This is the way. The regular is fine, but the XL would be better. Every now and then I run into logs and splits that require me to bust out my wedges. I'm not opposed to it, but it'd be much easier if it just fit in the ring.

Back