Fast Food (Pron)

OH man that looks great!!!! Thats it, time to get my hands on a windshield wiper motor and build me a Cyprus Style BBQ. Thanks for sharing!

Ah, that looks great! It takes me back to my days at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey. While all the new guys were eating at the places right off the base we would go way back in the village and buy kabobs in little shops that just had a grill and a couple of tables. We would stuff ourselves for about 2 dollars. Is the ground Sumac red? A lot of the food we had would come with a tomato cucumber salad and it always had a red spice sprinkled on top. It was just a little bit spicy. Oh and the flat bread! There were a couple of places where we could get it straight out of the brick oven.We would spread on the goat butter and just eat until we couldn't stand any more.

Funny, most people in North America see "sumac" and immediately get all itchy...:laugh:

:laugh: Is it weird that I have been eating it and had no idea that it was a relative to the poison ivy. I guess Sumac is the good "sheep" of the family.

looks good--- when is the next meal?

Not for a week or two. It is time for vacation. Other people will be cooking for me for a change. :p I think I am going to reenact one of those Corona commercials.

Love that style of BBQ Antoant!

Looks delicious, and I love that flatbread too!

Cheers!

Bill

Thank you Bill. Cooking on an open pit is crazy fun.

Welcome to our side of the Big Pond!:becky:
Phantastic Bro!
Nice ForFour you got there!:wink:

Thanks Phubar. It is a shame they don't make them any more. I love the little thing although it belongs to the gf. Can't wait to see your next cook.

Ah, that looks great! It takes me back to my days at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey. While all the new guys were eating at the places right off the base we would go way back in the village and buy kabobs in little shops that just had a grill and a couple of tables. We would stuff ourselves for about 2 dollars. Is the ground Sumac red? A lot of the food we had would come with a tomato cucumber salad and it always had a red spice sprinkled on top. It was just a little bit spicy. Oh and the flat bread! There were a couple of places where we could get it straight out of the brick oven.We would spread on the goat butter and just eat until we couldn't stand any more.

I agree the best way to find good food in a foreign country is to venture outside your comfort zone and most of the time the best food comes from the smallest places :p Sumac is purplish, I guess you could call it red. I think the spice you tasted in Turkey is definitely Sumac. I think it is very common in Turkish cuisine.

How long on the coals?

Hey Ashmont. Sorry for not replying to your earlier post. When you say how long do you mean how long before they light up or how long they last.
The first depends on how much lump you got in there. Those briquettes take a while to light up if you use starter cubes and no lump. But if you use lump they get going pretty fast. Well the lump does and then the briquettes start up easily.
Now if you are asking how long they last then the answer is 2-3 hours in an open pit like that. I guess if you put them in a closed pit they would last longer. The pack has a couple of graphs on the side of it. I can take a picture if you want and post it. It compares lump and those specific briquettes in terms of time and temperature in an open bit and in a kettle.

Hey Ashmont. Sorry for not replying to your earlier post. When you say how long do you mean how long before they light up or how long they last.
The first depends on how much lump you got in there. Those briquettes take a while to light up if you use starter cubes and no lump. But if you use lump they get going pretty fast. Well the lump does and then the briquettes start up easily.
Now if you are asking how long they last then the answer is 2-3 hours in an open pit like that. I guess if you put them in a closed pit they would last longer. The pack has a couple of graphs on the side of it. I can take a picture if you want and post it. It compares lump and those specific briquettes in terms of time and temperature in an open bit and in a kettle.

Sorry How long does the meat stay on the coals before there done? Average time hour hour and a half ect. Sorry should have been more specific.....

Sorry How long does the meat stay on the coals before there done? Average time hour hour and a half ect. Sorry should have been more specific.....

:icon_blush: Oops never thought about that time. They stay on for 20-35 minutes, depending on the size of the chunks and how juicy you want them. I usually use small/fatty pieces and like my meat juicy so 20-25 is the max for me.

Back