Fall off the bone ribs?

I'm such a beer geek I got a job at a distributor. Now I'm a proffesional. :thumb:

I personally would rather have slightly overdone ribs to underdone.

I'm such a beer geek I got a job at a distributor. Now I'm a proffesional. :thumb:

I need to get in contact with Surly to see if they are hireing. I think it would be great to work at a brewery even if I'm the one that has to scrub out the tanks. lol

Or, a distributor would be alright. There's a big distributor not too far from where I live.

I need to get in contact with Surly to see if they are hireing. I think it would be great to work at a brewery even if I'm the one that has to scrub out the tanks. lol

Or, a distributor would be alright. There's a big distributor not too far from where I live.

10 years ago it felt like a wild west job. Full time fun but the PC police made their way in. now it's just work. :doh:

I did a cook for a friend at a winery in Napa recently, and I cooked up two cases of ribs, which were cooker perfectly. The only problem was that they sat in the warming box just a bit too long, and the ribs at the bottom were literally falling off the bones. No complaints from the guests, just nothing but compliments. I was the Grand Champion that day, so I think it comes down to personal tastes and opinions. I don't like them falling off the bone, but most really do.

People normally "like" what they've been used to eating. For example, if someone has grown up eating coleslaw on their pull poke sammiches then odds are that's what they prefer. And if they get one without it it's "wrong". But on the flip side you've got people that grew up eating the same pulled poke sammiches without the slaw and it disgusts them beyond no end to even think about doing that so to them that is "wrong".

My in laws enjoy cheap food. They think the best bbq comes from one of the cheapest bbq restaurants in town. They fix "fall off the bone" ribs and I've eaten those same ribs my father in law says are "the best in town". But to me they are overcooked and quickly turn into "mush" once you begin to chew. You might as well just swallow it once its in your mouth. But that's how he likes his. Personally I think he's missing out.

But he has had what I would call "good, quality" Q and he still prefers the cheap stuff.

I am glad you know how others feel.....Just because it's different, doesn't make it wrong.

Not to get too deep with this topic but I think it carries some merit. The mental aspect of paying dirt cheap prices factors into how something taste for a lot of people. My FIL is cheap and is always looking for "low prices". That's why they eat at buffets, low end bbq joints and the like.

And to him it makes him feel all warm and fuzzy to know that he can get a boat load of food for dirt cheap prices. Whereas if he goes to a higher end quality BBQ joint the fact that he has to pay more than he wants grates on his nerves so much that it doesn't matter if the food is magnificent its not going to be good to him because of the price he had to pay.

I like your fil!!!!! In reality why does it matter when you full you full

Because to me I don't go out to eat and my main goal is to eat cheap. If I'm going with that mindset I might as well stay home and fix a bee-lo-nee sammich and some chips and call it good.

Everybody is different and I don't base how food tastes off how much I paid for it. Or I tend to believe I don't. I've eaten at low priced buffets where I only paid $5 for all you can eat and it sucked. They could have given it to me and it still would have sucked.

But to each his own. If my FIL thinks Golden Corral serves the same quality of steaks as they do in several of the upper end steakhouses here in town then so be it. But I can I tell the difference between a sirloin and a New York Strip. :becky:

From what I have seen and read in terms of reviews of BBQ places I like, there is a predominance of folks that love falling off the bone ribs, brisket that is too soft to slice and pork cooked to mush. But, if that is what they like, then I hope they find it.

A friend of mine has a BBQ place that he was cooking chicken with perfect crispy skin and dense juicy meat, what I consider a properly roasted chicken with a smoky flavor. He sold almost none. His cook asked if they could try what he called 'Mexican' style (I call supermarket style) in which he brined and then cooked to falling off the bone. He is now selling a couple of cases of chicken a day. Go figure. I still don't understand why it is 'Mexican' style, other than that the cook is from Mexico.

i don't think it's wrong to like fall off the bone ribs, but i don't think they are good ribs either. just because someone likes something doesn't mean it's good, it just means it's good to them.

edit: i realize that saying that makes me sound like kind of an arse.

Last edited:
It's like anything we do. And we all have a preference with how we go about it. If you're BBQ'ing or Brewing for yourself or a select group of family & friends then it's your way. If you're doing it for profit then you do it their way, if you want to stay in business that is. It's really no more complicated than that.. Cheers!!!

No different than people who like their steaks bloody rare to some who like their's charred and well done, and everyone in between. It used to bother me to see my wife prefer her steaks well done or destroyed but not any more. I learned to accept. :)

People are funny when it comes to food and I am no different. We all have our comfort foods for whatever reason. I eat the cheap buffet for lunch, and then buy a $3000 smoker for some BBQ. After realizing what a DB I must sound like explaining to people how food is supposed to taste, be cooked, and be served, I finally gave it a rest. No one like a know it all, especially realizing nothing is a one-size-fits-all. I can now smile when at a friends house eating crock-pot ribs. And the more of my horse pee beer I drink (Miller Lite), the better alternative methods seem to be. Tomorrow always comes and I can serve it up BK style (my way) as I choose, depending on MY mood of course.

I, like some of you, when it comes to telling people what's "real" bbq or "good" bbq or how bbq "should be" have learned to keep my mouf shut. If someone wants to crap in a crockpot, put bbq sauce over it and call it "BBQ" then that's fine by me. :thumb:

What is real BBQ or is there such a thing????

As much as "we" like to broaden the boundaries of "real bbq" there has to be some standard/criteria laid down in my opinion. If not then someone (as I referred to above) could take a dump in a crockpot, pour bbq sauce over it and call it "BBQ". A bit extreme but do you see my point? Are the boundaries so broad that anything can be called "BBQ"?

Back