Fall Off The Bone Results Input

I have never wrapped pork ribs during the cook, however once probe tender I do wrap in foil and let sit a hour or two or three in a cooler packed with towels, this IMO leads to fall off the bone tenderness and moisture without getting mushy. If cooking rib tips I will cook them in a hotel pan for several hours to get smoke then I cover with foil to ensure the unevenness of the tips don't dry out.

There's no way I take out of the wrap and not grill for bark and taste. My latest (yesterday) pretty much fell apart and could not be cut. Everybody loved them. I prefer on the bone but well done.

Stupid question but can the 6 hour 3-2-1 cook be sped up? Can you smoke them for 2 hours at 275 and then wrap them in foil and bump to 350 or so and be done sooner? Just curious

Many places sell “enhanced” ribs which means they have some type of sodium injection/solution. There are many previous posts about this. My point to add, in my experience, these “enhanced” ribs have a tendency to get “fall off the bone” tender at a quicker rate than non enhanced. Both foiled and unfoiled.

Sometimes I wrap and sometimes I don't but my ribs pretty much still comes out the same, with a bite while also being tender and moist. I have left them on 30 minutes to an hour and have achieved fall off the bone. Just my two cents. Everyone be safe and have a good one.

OK....Here is what happened to me and I will try to give full details:

Yoder 640 grill 275 preheat

2 racks of baby back ribs, dry seasoned 30 minutes prior to grill

Placed them on upper expanded steel plate, bone side down unwrapped for 2 hours

Spritzed with 1/4 apple cider vinegar and 3 parts water at the 1 hour and again at the 90 minute mark.

At the 2 hour mark, cook looked good so I wrapped in 2 layers foil tightly with some butter and honey a bit more dry rub. Removed the upper expanded steel grate and placed foiled ribs on low rack to the right of fire box.

2 hours later I checked and the bones were already separating......In the kitchen I placed one rack on a plate "dry" and the other rack I placed on a plate and poured a little Kinders mild BBQ sauce over the meat to make them a little "muddy".

Kids and wife devoured both

Did that the other day with some St. Loius style bones. Ran at 275 and went about a half hour too long. They weren't too dry. Except for being too soft for my taste, they came out pretty good.

Stupid question but can the 6 hour 3-2-1 cook be sped up? Can you smoke them for 2 hours at 275 and then wrap them in foil and bump to 350 or so and be done sooner? Just curious
I call it 3-2-1 but never do it. I find that 2 hrs. off direct heat followed by 2 hrs.
wrapped (both at 225-250) followed by a short rest gets them pretty much fall off the bone, so much so that I can just about brown them for 15 to 30 min. open and direct heat before I need to remove and eat.

I have tried to do hot and fast ribs several times but, never had much luck with getting them how we like. So I gave up. I just plan for 6ish hours anymore

How is that (your liking)??

And yes, full slabs at 275*F for two hours, 1.5hr wrapped, and an unwrapped last half hour will yield pretty close to 3:2:1. STL's with a little tooth to them take about 4hrs at 250*F, not wrapping. Full without wrapping is a lot harder to gauge with how much they can vary.

I will give your 275 recommendation a whirl. To our liking, it's been so long ago I just remember they were never that good.

Back