THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still using the Caravan AlumaShade I got from Costco for $189 back in 2007.

I've been collecting frames off craigslist and have even used one brands struts to repair another and they are still going strong. I prefer Caravans but have had the EZ-Up Eclipse II's but sold them. Also have an aluminum frame Caravan and a commercial EZ-Up that fold down to @4' tall. I buy heavy duty 600 denier replacement tops from Garden Winds for $89-much better quality!

To be honest-if I had your $$ I'd look hard at the Coverup models from Costco, I like how the sidewalls and tops have velcro all the way around.

http://www.costco.com/canopies.html

I snagged some 5'x5' Norstar pop ups that myself and a couple other teams are using on our trailer ramps.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Get the most expensive one you can afford. Built quality is better as you go up through the EZ-UP line. Not all the stuff is visible..for example the higher end shelters have internal bracing in the tubes, so less likely to bend and snap.

I got tired of replacing tents every season (even when I was doing 3 comps a year) so I got the singing and dancing high end aluminum frame model, and it's now been through about 60 comps. Not everyone wants to drop that much cash on a tent, but even at the lower end you will see benefits from going one model up.

We have 2 of the $99.00 units that you get from Wal Mart. They have served us well using them in comps and camping at the beach. They are not very stable and I know if a good wind catches them while they are tied down to the ground, they frame would snap. It almost happened in Winchester a few months ago. If my wife and me had not been holding them when a storm front came thru, they would be scrap metal.

Also, we went to buy side panels. They were $15.00 each (I think that was the price) from Wal Mart. So, if we bought 4 panels at $15.00 each, well, you can do the math. Just a little short of the EZ UP from SAMs. The SAMs unit is much sturdier, thicker frame parts, and has the walls included.

While the cheap ones have lasted a good while, we will be purchasing the SAMs unit before next years comps.

wallace

Back