EZ UP Canopies

Still using the Caravan AlumaShade I got from Costco for $189 back in 2007.

I've been collecting frames off craigslist and have even used one brands struts to repair another and they are still going strong. I prefer Caravans but have had the EZ-Up Eclipse II's but sold them. Also have an aluminum frame Caravan and a commercial EZ-Up that fold down to @4' tall. I buy heavy duty 600 denier replacement tops from Garden Winds for $89-much better quality!

To be honest-if I had your $$ I'd look hard at the Coverup models from Costco, I like how the sidewalls and tops have velcro all the way around.

http://www.costco.com/canopies.html

I snagged some 5'x5' Norstar pop ups that myself and a couple other teams are using on our trailer ramps.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Get the most expensive one you can afford. Built quality is better as you go up through the EZ-UP line. Not all the stuff is visible..for example the higher end shelters have internal bracing in the tubes, so less likely to bend and snap.

I got tired of replacing tents every season (even when I was doing 3 comps a year) so I got the singing and dancing high end aluminum frame model, and it's now been through about 60 comps. Not everyone wants to drop that much cash on a tent, but even at the lower end you will see benefits from going one model up.

We have 2 of the $99.00 units that you get from Wal Mart. They have served us well using them in comps and camping at the beach. They are not very stable and I know if a good wind catches them while they are tied down to the ground, they frame would snap. It almost happened in Winchester a few months ago. If my wife and me had not been holding them when a storm front came thru, they would be scrap metal.

Also, we went to buy side panels. They were $15.00 each (I think that was the price) from Wal Mart. So, if we bought 4 panels at $15.00 each, well, you can do the math. Just a little short of the EZ UP from SAMs. The SAMs unit is much sturdier, thicker frame parts, and has the walls included.

While the cheap ones have lasted a good while, we will be purchasing the SAMs unit before next years comps.

wallace

Back