THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long have you been making REAL BBQ

• Total voters
2 months of actual slow and low bbq experience.

2+ years of lurking around various bbq forums/websites.

have yet to attain REAL bbq status.

You yungin's....I been around since we used to use real dinosaur bones...uh...would you believe mastadon ribs? How about 2-3 years, but less than a few months on a real smoker. My BYC. Scott

Oh good Im in the Novice group with the majority - at this point. I feel like I'm in with good company. Ive been grilling all of my adult life but only smoking for 1 year now.

Been Q'ing for over 20 years....but, that doesn't make me a pro. Know what I mean?

I've been grilling for 35 years. I had a smoker about 15 years ago, but never learned how to use it. I would use fresh cut green oak and plug the exhaust vent shut so that it would smother in heavy black smoke. After making everyone sick a few times I got rid of that pit.

I acquired my current pit about 6 months ago and with the help of some friends and the internet, I have come light years baby!!!! Now I can do Q.

It just occured to me... those of us with kids who are getting them involved in Kids Q contests and teaching them in our back yards are gonna create some kids who have more Q experience by age 16 than most of us have right now!

Been grilling for 20 yrs . Had 2 or 3 400.00 + gas bombs. Got divorced from that keep up with Jones' ex wife. Re married down to earth gal ,who enjoys the simple things like myself, like real charcoal and my grilling days were over. Will never own another gas grill ever.

I'm getting close to 3 yrs of "real BBQ" since we bought the house and had the space for a pit.... did the whole improvising on grills and tinkering with a kettle for a while before that, but it was still basically grillin'....

I was not into it enough to know what I was doing, but a few summers around '90-92 with family in North Carolina and Tennessee gave me my first intro to what has now become my quest for the continually making the perfect BBQ...

Jeff_in_KC said:
It just occured to me... those of us with kids who are getting them involved in Kids Q contests and teaching them in our back yards are gonna create some kids who have more Q experience by age 16 than most of us have right now!

Thats the mark of a great parent!!!!

racer_81 said:
Been Q'ing for over 20 years....but, that doesn't make me a pro. Know what I mean?

I am with Racer and some of the other guys here. I got the years covered. but sometimes I think I've got 1 years experience 50 times. Definitely would not use the word pro.
Maybe Poobah should change that title to "seasoned craftsman" or "wrinkled old Farker"?

I was cooking real Q on an open pit with my Grandfather in 1955, when I was 12. That's the year I got to do my first all-nighter. Pretty much been doing it constantly ever since.

started when i gradumated from collage in 1990. that's when my Dad and i really became "friends." i've loved it ever since.

I had to choose Expert because thats where the numbers fall. I am by no means an expert. Experienced intermediate is more like it. Got my first smoker in 1994. The welding shop at the high school where I used to teach made them as fund raisers. $135.00 for a hand made pit from 1/8" plate 24"x36" main with a firebox. Can't beat that with a stick. Gave it to a friend when I got my Gator Pit. Made my first brisket the week I got it and it was the best one I ever made. Go figure.

Like some others have said, I have been cooking outside and grilling since scouts some 35 yrs ago. My favorite before I got the BSKD 2 yrs ago was a Weber kettle. I did some smokin' on it and in a cardboard box ala AB :grin: I'd cook everything in the smoke if the wife would let me get away with it :biggrin: Still learnin' and lovin' it . . .

I chose intermediate. Grew up grilling outside with Dad but got married and got my first little brinkman smoker and tinkered with it. Past coule years graduated to a couple of chargrillers. Started out taking Q to family functions and to friends get togethers and snowballed from there. Am always getting hit up to cook some where for a party or such. Have made alot friends thru the years because Que.

Dont get hung up on the numbers guys.. Put yourslf in where ya think u belong. Regardless of the time.

willkat98 said:
Wow, I graduated in 90 as well

We arse mart

Hey, I graduated in 90 too! From high school that is!:twisted:

Right now I is a grad student...

As for this thread, I don't know where I stand. I began seriously smoking a year ago, and I have learned a whole lot. We have a team put together, but have not been able to actually compete because of life. However, I have been cooking about twice a month for extra cash. I have about 10 loyal customers, and cook between 50 and 100 lbs of meat each cook. I am still refining my craft, but will probably do so the rest of my life. Anyway, I just checked the second box.

I honestly believe that I am a novice, but with the investment of time, technique, and expense of preparing for competition, I almost checked the pro box.

thillin said:
Notice he put in "real BBQ". That nocked me down a little. I use to think I was actually Q'ing.:roll:

You mean my lighter fluid soaked coals and my 1 and half hour ribs was not real bbq? It was very real... real bad! :lol:

Back