THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been looking at the Pitboss Copperhead 5 as well. Does anyone on here have that? Experiences with it? Walmart has it for 396.00 when in stock.

Academy had those on sale couple weeks ago I think ?? They have them, so eventually they’ll be marked down I’d bet. They had one set up on the floor. Really nice, crapton of room. Academy used to have a discount for original purchase on credit card application. I don’t play that game but know some who do/successfully.

Nothing against pellet cookers but I use a heater meter with my lump cooker and I submit that it maintains temp better than a pellet cooker

This is on a Peoria Custom Cooker with a BBQ Guru. The only time the temperature varied was when I opened it to top off the wood/charcoal. Ten hours with no variation greater than 3 or 4 degrees the entire night. No need for pellets here. :mrgreen:

View attachment 160230

Last edited:
This is on a Peoria Custom Cooker with a BBQ Guru. The only time the temperature varied was when I opened it to top off the wood/charcoal. Ten hours with no variation greater than 3 or 4 degrees the entire night. No need for pellets here. :mrgreen:

View attachment 160230

That's purty :thumb:
hell it looks better than my graph :mrgreen:

lump, or briquettes?

See what happens Adams when you buy a PG, you get ostracized and you haven't even posted a cook yet. :shock:

Funny thing is you never see the vitriol toward electric smokers, propane smokers or other cookers that are being controlled by electronics as you do the pellet grills and it boggles my mind why that is? If someone owned one and didn't like it, I get it, started with a MES and will never own another electric smoker again, that's based off experience.

2cioli.jpg

I haven't seen any vitriol in this thread. I think the ones asking him to reconsider were saying

1. you don't need a pellet to have consistency( which is one of the reasons adams was looking at one)

2. you already have 12 cookers - do you really need another one?

I think if 16adams posts that he is looking for a propane cooker for ease of use and just because he wants to try something different, the responses would have been the same.

if I remember correctly you were one of the ones who also told him how consistent your UDS was

See what happens Adams when you buy a PG, you get ostracized and you haven't even posted a cook yet. :shock:

Funny thing is you never see the vitriol toward electric smokers, propane smokers or other cookers that are being controlled by electronics as you do the pellet grills and it boggles my mind why that is? If someone owned one and didn't like it, I get it, started with a MES and will never own another electric smoker again, that's based off experience.

2cioli.jpg

I’ve been watching YT videos. I’m thinking two 1# Nekkid Fattys, a Spaminal, and some sauced and cubed pork belly bites, maybe stuff those into ABT’s. I do think the first cook should be memorable.

BTW- it shows “shipped”

I'm not opposed to a pellet cooker but for me cooking anything using wood smoke is an event. I like planning for the work. I'm not looking for convenience at all because I like manipulating vents and controlling temps manually. A couple guys at work bought pellet cookers and they told me they get burned out on BBQ. That's because they go home and plug-and-play their pellet poopers. Zero adventure in that. I like to prepare for the cook instead of relying on the convenience. To me that's more fun and I enjoy the food better. I dont think I cold ever get burned out on cue.

I'm not opposed to a pellet cooker but for me cooking anything using wood smoke is an event. I like planning for the work. I'm not looking for convenience at all because I like manipulating vents and controlling temps manually. A couple guys at work bought pellet cookers and they told me they get burned out on BBQ. That's because they go home and plug-and-play their pellet poopers. Zero adventure in that. I like to prepare for the cook instead of relying on the convenience. To me that's more fun and I enjoy the food better. I dont think I cold ever get burned out on cue.
That's fine William, I don't have a stick burner but when I cook on the Drum, I load up the charcoal basket with charcoal and wood, light my chimney, in 20 to 30 minutes dump the ashed over coals and put the basket in the Drum. Give it 10 to 15 minutes to get up to the temp I want to cook at, set the vents put the meat on and if it's a brisket or butt don't even bother to check it again until I'm 3.5 to 4hrs in, if it's the color I want I wrap (don't even check IT), 2hrs later I'll start probing for tenderness. If I'm cooking pork ribs at 275, I'll put them on and start checking at 3:45 into the cook but most of the time they're done at 4hrs whether I hang them or cooking them on the grate and I'd do the same with the PG.

It's the cook not the cooker that makes great food, well unless it's a microwave because they're the bomb. :razz:

Last edited:
I like using the word vitriol! But I'm thinking of starting to use "mordancy" in its place for a few weeks.

Bob, I believe you would be a cool guy to hang out with! I am a word guy, crosswords, Scrabble, you name it. I bet my jaws would ache by the end of the day from laughter!

That's purty :thumb:
hell it looks better than my graph :mrgreen:

lump, or briquettes?

Briquettes. Chef's Select by Royal Oak, all hardwood, no fillers or binders. About 10 lbs. of it along with a single split of hickory to start. I'll add another split before I go to bed, then one in the morning when I pull the brisket and pork butts and put the ribs on.

Very cool Adams!

Between you and Kevin I'm trying to find the time to sell my weber summit grill. I need the real estate and the spare change will help also! To be honest I think I'd get rid of my Spicewine too, good cooker but not my style.

Back