Estate sale Vintage BBQ grill/spit find

seavandal

Found some matches.
I have waaaaay too many BBQs in my yard, shed, and garage. I don't need any more no matter how cool they are. OK, that's what I keep telling myself.
So, this one catches my eye at the estate sale and I flat out loved it but thought.... Okay... I don't need any more no matter how cool... So I left the estate sale (Friday) sans said BBQ. I even told my wife about it and that I didn't buy it. She was so proud!
Then, I got curious about it and started looking at some of my vintage BBQ cookbooks. One of them is called the Big Boy Barbecue Book from the 50's/60's. Flipping through the pages revealed the same BBQ that I had seen at the estate sale page after page.
I started looking on the web to see if i could find more info on this BBQ. I couldn't find any info on this portable version of this BBQ nor about the company that made it.
Couldn't sleep much that night. Flashes of that chrome barrel shaped Big Boy BBQ slipped into my dreams. It took me all night to convince myself that I needed another cool vintage BBQ. Besides, I don't have anything like it.
So yesterday, I got up a little early and continued convincing myself to scratch the early "I don't need any more" mantra going on in my head. The wife won't mind. I can just hide it in the garage or something.
Time to go see if the BBQ is still there.
The Estate sale opened at 9. I was there at 8:30. I go to the back of the property and yipper, it's still there.
The lady asked why I didn't buy it the day before. "It's complicated" I told her. With a smile, I hoisted the prize and put in the back seat of the truck. I slept well last night.
I haven't had time to clean it at all. As is, it really is nice. Here are a few pictures of the BBQ.

Attachments

• big boy 1.JPG
    big boy 1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 423
  • big boy 1.JPG 2.JPG
    big boy 1.JPG 2.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 414
  • big boy 3.JPG
    big boy 3.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 414
  • big boy 4.JPG
    big boy 4.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 412
  • big boy 5.JPG
    big boy 5.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 412
Cool Score! :-D
I wouldn't have hesitated.
(Said the man who recently came home with his 4th Weber kettle :redface:)

Found this.

The growth of suburbia following World War II spawned a backyard/patio barbecue craze. In August 1953, Merle L. Persinger of Glendale, California and Laverne O. Persinger of Burbank, California were copartners involved in the manufacturing and sale of barbecue equipment. The two partners incorporated Big Boy Manufacturing Company, Big Boy Barbecue Sales Company, and Big Boy Barbecue Export Company. The companies were located in Burbank, California.

In 1956, The Big Boy Manufacturing Company in partnership with Kingsford Chemical, manufacturers of easy-light charcoal briquettes, published the Big Boy Barbecue Book subtitled “Shows how easy it is to cook on Spit or Grill.” At least seven editions of the book were printed.

The Persingers filed numerous patents. Laverne O. Persinger received patent US2983218 for a barbecue grill attachment, US3016816 for an outdoor barbecue with slanting grill, US 3121386 for a barbecue assembly, US3667449 for a gas operated barbecue grill, and USD223551 for an anchor for boats. In 1968, Merle L. Persinger received patent USD212105, filed on June 17, 1967, for a toy wagon, manufactured as the “Moon Wagon.”

https://www.harryrinker.com/col-1319.html

Cool post. Glad it was there for you in the morning otherwise you probably would not have slept again!

I love old stuff like that.We had an ORIGINAL CAST ALLUMINUM PK,until I ran into it with my bicycle when I was 12.Damn,I remember the meals off of that thing.Now,Mom,Pop and the OLD PK are all gone,but not the memories though.

Back