Enough Chicken This Week--Beef Neck, Lamb Chops And Ribeye Cap

Superlative! :mrgreen:

This shot has me drooling... :hungry:

k6s3tX0h.jpg

Outstanding! Quite a selection of good eats. :clap2:

Thanks guys!

I’ve seen a few Asian and German recipes calling for pork neck. Asked the butcher and he looked at me like I was crazy. Now you tell me there’s beef neck too!

That sucks! We have constant access for all these specialty cuts. I paid $1.50/lb for the beef neckbones. :shocked: I don't think I've bought cheaper beef.

I actually also grilled pork neckbones and they are crazy good and tender.

eaBszLLh.jpg

Awesome job!

I wish I could get ribeye caps locally, I have to order from the net.. jealous. Ugh

They are pretty easy do DIY if you are willing to buy a full rib roast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJH3qwIHeDc

Here's a couple on I did on the oval a while back:

YXVvnw.jpg

Looks outstanding!!

Yes, I’ve seen a few videos how to trim a full rib roast up. I have to give it a whirl. Been a bit lazy, I guess I can say.

Yep! Very easy to do. Maybe buy a 3 to 4 bone ribeye roast and the cap just peels off. Make sure the get it from the chuck end for a thick cap. Ribeye roasts go on sale quite regularly for $5-6/lb and it's the perfect time to grab them.

Nice looking cook! I'm with you on the neck bones, They make some awesome soup too! I love pork neck bones for tamales.

Thanks Josh! Absolutely. At $1.50/lb it's a bargain. I had the butcher cut thick ones and I put it in the freezer to make a stew or soup with. :thumb:

Thanks! The neckbones were super tender and floppy to begin with so I immediately thought to grill them. Any thicker than the size they where cut, I'd say great for smoking. I know thicker cut they'll make a killer pepper stout beef. :nod:

I run the Slow N Sear with the optional drip pan/griddle. Love it. I've never used the kettle without it. A bit pricey but believe me when I say well worth it.

https://abcbarbecue.com/products/

Here's my set up

oRGQWN8h.jpg

Was the the neckbone steak more like rib eye or chuck eye, where it’s good medium rare?, Or more like beef cheek? I had beef cheek once. It was good, very rich, very different than steak, but ultimately not my cup of tea. It was a low and slow type of beef.

Regarding the slow and sear, I remember seeing those a while back without a bottom. I use lump, so with the bottom grate, they look tempting. I saw they are also making a model for the 26inch. But yeah, it is quite expensive.

How hot can you get the indirect side of the grill with a full load of coal?

Last edited:
Does the rest of your family cook like you, Neighbor? lol I can see why they come to your house!! :grin:
Looks amazing!!

Was the the neckbone steak more like rib eye or chuck eye, or more like beef cheek. I had beef cheek once. It was good, very rich, very different than steak, but ultimately not my cup of tea.

Regarding the slow and sear, I remember seeing those a while back without a bottom. With the bottom grate, they look tempting. I saw they are also making a model for the 26inch. But yeah, it is quite expensive.

How hot can you get the indirect side of the grill with a full load of coal?

Def more like a steak like chuck eye. Cheek in comparison is way to rich like you mentioned.

As for the Slow n Sear, they redesigned it and from what I know it's now riveted? I like my version better since it's fully welded. I do remember a bottomless one but def have to go with a bottom. The SnS basket alone cost me more than the kettle but IMHO it's a must have. Money well spent. The pan is awesome too.

Open the intake and exhaust and depending on your fuel source easily close 1000* if not more. I got get a read with my IR gun next time.

Does the rest of your family cook like you, Neighbor? lol I can see why they come to your house!! :grin:
Looks amazing!!

Thanks Neighbor! Family does cook from my mom, dad to brothers. I have to honestly say even better than me. It's a hoot when we all get together and everyone gets going. :becky:

Meat coma is an understatement, looks amazing Sako.

Back