Emporia, KS

Took the wife and a couple of friends Friday eve. to Emporia for the competition. Weather was an issue. Watched a wall cloud develop as we drove in. Even saw a funnel cloud (would rather have a funnel cake). As we arrived, a micro burst knocked down several tents, including 2 pop ups in the MOKAN site. Met with Wanye and his crew: Bob and Ron. Awesome folks. Hade a nice visit with them. True brothers. Beer, margaritas and fatties all around. These guys know how to have fun and are top notch cooks as well. Thanks for all the hospitality guys.

Then we we next door and talked with Ron and the pelletheads. He is another super brother. Very friendly and willing to spend time with a brother and share ideas. He does 20 contests a year and has a sweet setup. Even has air contitioning in his trailer. Came too late for his ribs though. :cry: Nice to meet you Ron. Glad we got the pellet thing worked out. Turns out he had met Phil and had kcquer do some cabinet work for him.

From the report on results by Kick, it looks like you guys did yourself proud. Way to go. I was truely a pleasure to meet you. If you haven't made it out to a contest, you have got to go. Friday night was the party night and we all had a great time dispite the weather. See you guys again some time, and thanks again for your hospitality.

Congrats on the great showing, guys!

Wayne... Did you turn in without garnish? I'd love to see some pics along with the scores...

Thnx all. Somebody said a storm passed through. I must have missed it. :wink:

Wayne, did you go with that "no garnish" pork box. If so, that's really awesome. You're showing folks that garnish really is optional! Congrats.

That's RIGHT! I'd forgotten about the no garnish in the pork turn in box! If he DID follow through....it was worth a 2nd!

the times. could they be a changing?

Thanks guys!! Congats Rod on your 3rd place overall It was a good contast and a good showing for us -been in kind of a slump lately. Also lost a tie breaker for 10th in ribs.

Steve - it was great to meet you and your wife and friends. Hope you had a good time and didn't run into too much rain on the way home. It got real wet after you left and since the wind flattened two of our three easyups all we had was the one over the smoker.

Here is a pic of the pork got a 979886 in appearance and a second place.

Also tried it with brisket but placed 30th. Appearance was a 886678 - taste killed us. May go back to garnish with that until we get everything else figured out.

Will post all the pics in the contest turnins album tomorrow.

Damn fine looking turn-ins Wayne :lol:

Have some questions, but will save them for tomorrow--tired MOD!

Congrats.

TIM

Congrats on the placements. Sorry I was not able to make it but I just could not arange my schedule. Tomorrow it's once more into the breach. NKAWTG

Wayne.....you got higher appearance scores on the pork and I thought your brisket looked better. Although that was a nice piece of bark in that pork turn-in. That's what I would have grabbed along with some of that pulled stuff. I dang sure wouldn't have given you a farkin 6 on either of them. Makes me wonder what it would take for those judges to score a 9. If'n it were me, I'd do the same exact thing next contest and get a "second" opinion on it.

Yeah, that brisket is gorgeous. I'm really surprised by those scores. I'm with Richie- get some more feedback.

Damn, those pics are enough to make me rethink the whole garnish question! Please dopn't forget to post them in the turn in box album. They're great

Back