Egg to WSM - Some Questions

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Brethren! So here’s my situation in a nutshell: a year and a half ago we bought a house and it came with a Large Big Green Egg. I fell in love with it, and with grilling, BBQ, and cooking with fire in general. I can turn out some awesome food, and we use it several times a week. But, it has some issues. The fire box was cracked when we got it, I kept using it until it was about to fall apart and then I bought a new one (~$200 if my memory is right). Now the fire ring is cracked into two pieces, but is still usable. The bands holding the lid on started slipping (common issue) and when adjusting them I found a crack in the ceramic base. A replacement base is going to be over $500.

I’m not going to buy a replacement base. For $700 I could buy a whole brand new BGE in the same size, and being the original owner it would come with a lifetime warranty, so I won’t have to keep buying ceramic pieces when they break (plus I’ll have a bunch of extras from the old Egg). But there’s still the issue with the bands (a dumb design IMO), and dealing with swapping the ceramics when (not if IME) the do break. I think I’m done with the Egg.

So, I’m considering just picking up a 22” Weber kettle and an 18.5” Smokey Mountain instead, I can get both for a lot less coin than a BGE, and have a lot more cooking capacity, and I suspect a lot less maintenance headaches. The Large Egg has an 18” grid, the Kettle is 22” and the WSM has two 18” grids. It’s rare I’ve needed more capacity than the Egg had, but there has been a few instances where more space would have been nice.

Being new to the WSM, I have some questions, but my biggest concern is burn time. The Egg has spoiled me. I’ve done 18hr cooks at 225-250*F and still had hours of lump left. Overnight cooks are easy, once you get it set up and rollin’ you can go to bed, no worries with running out of fuel, and I’ve never used a water pan, so no need to refill it. I really like being able to set it up and then walk away.

I’ve also been amazed at how little air is needed to hold the Egg at 225*F, the bottom vent is only opened about 1/16in. I've never used (or felt the need to use) a water pan. I cook indirect a lot, but do it dry using the ceramic deflector (which I hope I can use in the WSM too).

What can I expect from the 18.5” WSM? If using lump (instead of briquettes) I would assume you can get a longer burn, right? Lump burns hotter, so you don’t need as big of a fire to maintain your temp, and since it produces less ash air flow should be better. And I imagine if you don’t fill the water pan with water that will also extend burn time (boiling water takes a lot of energy). I know that’ll make temp control a bit trickier, but after 1.5yrs working with the Egg I suspect I’ll have a short learning curve with temp control on the WSM. Obviously the WSM doesn’t have the thermal capacity of the all-ceramic Egg. I’ll be fitting it with gaskets to better seal it up as soon as I get one.

Anything else I should know before pulling the trigger?

Wsm isn't as insulated so you won't get longer burn times on lump. Briquettes burn longer but both work great in a wsm.

If you want to stay with a komado have you checked out a Weber Summit Charcoal?

No cracking issues!

I think you are on the right track with the WSM and will have a short curve.

We have four BGEs, the oldest is over ten years and is used two-to-three times weekly. The band issue you've experienced is a surprise to me: all our eggs have required the bands to be tightened several times during the first few months of operation, and then only once a year or so, if even that.

I'd try to get the kettle and WSM used if possible. With the savings you can get an ATC to use. I have really enjoyed my 26" kettle; I'll even smoke stuff on it instead of the WSM at times. The 22" inch kettle is for pizza and extra capacity when needed.

You can also get a rotisserie, vortex, slow and sear, etc. for the kettle.

In the WSM, I use a terra cotta pot base instead of water. Other folks use sand, lava rocks, etc.

I'd try to get the kettle and WSM used if possible. With the savings you can get an ATC to use. I have really enjoyed my 26" kettle; I'll even smoke stuff on it instead of the WSM at times. The 22" inch kettle is for pizza and extra capacity when needed.

You can also get a rotisserie, vortex, slow and sear, etc. for the kettle.

In the WSM, I use a terra cotta pot base instead of water. Other folks use sand, lava rocks, etc.

ATC? Sorry I'm new-ish to weber stuff haha. We had a smaller weber in our very first house after we got married and then 'upgraded' to a larger (crappier) grill at our 2nd house....I gave the weber away and regretted it.

Briqs work better in a WSM IMO than lump but you should try both and see how it works for you. Since the WSM is uninsulated it will require more fuel than a BGE.

I agree about using an ATC (Automatic Temp Controller). I use an auber. Guru or stoker are other great options.

Check out the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board for all kinds of info on the WSM

Owned a WSM 18.5, I never used the water pan, replaced it with a clay saucer, could load it up with a full 15# bag of RO plus wood chunks. I like cooking in the 275-325 range and even at those temps I could get a good 10hrs+ of burn time. I know I've had over 100 cooks on it and never have had to add more fuel during a cook.

ATC=Automatic Temperature Controller, BBQ Guru, Pitmaster IQ, Stoker and others.

Last edited:
I've gone the opposite way. I was a weber guy like my daddy, and my daddy's daddy, and my daddy's daddy's daddy was before him.

I picked up a medium green egg and have cooked exclusively on it for about a month now. It is really fun to cook on, and is definitely a fuel miser. I also like how you can light it and have nuclear temps in less than 15 minutes. However, I think the kettle is a way more versatile cooker out of the box than an egg, you can buy the plate setter/heat deflectors but they are more expensive than a brand new kettle. Also the kettle has way more cooking area.

As far as smoking goes, I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Its not as efficient as the egg, but it also holds 3x the fuel, and you can get a bigger charcoal ring for even more capacity. I've never had a temp controller, but with a little practice you can gain the confidence to do a hands off over night cook.

And like others have said, for the price of a new BGE, you could get a brand new kettle, a brand new WSM and all the toys you would ever want. Personally I have never bought a weber new, people on craigslist practically give them away if you keep your eyes open. I have less than $200 in a kettle, a WSM, and a small weber gasser. That leaves a lot of proverbial meat on the bone to get you a slownsear, a temp controller and all kinds of other goodies.

Hey I think the Kettle and the WSM are a Great combination. I use them in my arsenal! I have no doubt you will have a very short learning curve with the WSM. Although not an insulated cooker; I have used mine in the snow up here in the Northeast with no problems. I recommend only placing a gasket on the top and possibly the side lid area if needed; not along the bottom....it is not needed! For a diffuser plate you can use a terra cotta plant pot bottom, or just wrap your water pan in foil and use brick, lava rocks, etc. if you want....or just run it dry. Try and find the rib hanger for the 18.5 IMMEDIATELY since Weber is no longer making it. It is a great add-on. You can check out the Mods I did to mine which only took 20 minutes or less for each one....>All the Best....Bill

P.S. Checking my Smoker Log, I reached 250º - 260º temp when it was 17º outside temp using KBB (Kingsford Blue Bag Briquettes) for some ribs. I read in my notes not to cook below 17º (couldn't reach higher temps at that outside temp) so that should give you some idea of how it cooks. I don't think you have anything to worry about where you are from!

Last edited:
If you get the WSM, I recommend the 22 over the 18. You may not need the space now but, if you ever have a need for more, you'll already have it. Yes...the 18" has two grates but, for me personally, it can be an aggravation accessing the lower grate when both are loaded.

This past Sunday, I ran mine at 250. When it hit 240, I began closing my intake vents a bit...when it hit 250, I closed the exhaust halfway. I glanced at it several times over the next 4-5 hours...it held between 240 and 260 with no need for adjustments. My cook ended after 5 hours, but I kept my vents open to see how long it held. It held temps above 225 for maybe 4-5 more hours with me not touching anything. While it isn't insulated, it will be as close to a set it and forget it as you could ask of it...once you have figured out your vents etc. You are a bit south of me, so you should have no issues with arctic temps etc...WSM will be a nice pickup for you.

I use Kingsford blue and it works best IMO. (Sunday's cook was about 10-12 lbs...2 partial bags.) I have tried lump by using a fire basket to prevent smaller pieces from just falling through the grate. Lump does indeed burn hotter...I use lump when doing chicken at 350. The issue with lump is that if you aren't careful, your temps will quickly hit 350+ and, since WSMs hold temp well, you will find it virtually impossible to bring it down below 300. Taking the dome off to let heat out only provides added oxygen to the fire, which makes it burn hotter. As an experiment after a chicken cook, I have had the lid off for as much as an hour, put it back on and watched the thermo rise to a hotter temp than it was before removing the dome.

WSM and a kettle...nice choices.

Lump does indeed burn hotter...I use lump when doing chicken at 350. The issue with lump is that if you aren't careful, your temps will quickly hit 350+ and, since WSMs hold temp well, you will find it virtually impossible to bring it down below 300. Taking the dome off to let heat out only provides added oxygen to the fire, which makes it burn hotter. As an experiment after a chicken cook, I have had the lid off for as much as an hour, put it back on and watched the thermo rise to a hotter temp than it was before removing the dome.

Oh I know this very well from using the Egg! Especially with the big thermal mass of the Egg, if you get it too hot, it takes hours for it come back down. Trick is (I've found) start low and slowly work your way up to the target temp, don't overshoot it! For long (overnight) cooks here's how I fire up the Egg, and plan to use the same method for the WSM:

Load the Egg mostly full of lump. Fill a starter chimney about 1/3rd full and get all of that lump lit. Dump the lit lump into the Egg, spread them out evenly, and then top with more unlit lump to fill it up the rest of the way. Close the lid, set the vents about where they need to be and wait for it to come up to temp.

This way, you never have a bigger fire than needed. Takes a little longer to come up to operating temperature, but you don't overshoot it.

Also, removing the lid is of course going to spike temps: more air = hotter fire!

If you get the WSM, I recommend the 22 over the 18. You may not need the space now but, if you ever have a need for more, you'll already have it. Yes...the 18" has two grates but, for me personally, it can be an aggravation accessing the lower grate when both are loaded.

This past Sunday, I ran mine at 250. When it hit 240, I began closing my intake vents a bit...when it hit 250, I closed the exhaust halfway. I glanced at it several times over the next 4-5 hours...it held between 240 and 260 with no need for adjustments. My cook ended after 5 hours, but I kept my vents open to see how long it held. It held temps above 225 for maybe 4-5 more hours with me not touching anything. While it isn't insulated, it will be as close to a set it and forget it as you could ask of it...once you have figured out your vents etc. You are a bit south of me, so you should have no issues with arctic temps etc...WSM will be a nice pickup for you.

I use Kingsford blue and it works best IMO. (Sunday's cook was about 10-12 lbs...2 partial bags.) I have tried lump by using a fire basket to prevent smaller pieces from just falling through the grate. Lump does indeed burn hotter...I use lump when doing chicken at 350. The issue with lump is that if you aren't careful, your temps will quickly hit 350+ and, since WSMs hold temp well, you will find it virtually impossible to bring it down below 300. Taking the dome off to let heat out only provides added oxygen to the fire, which makes it burn hotter. As an experiment after a chicken cook, I have had the lid off for as much as an hour, put it back on and watched the thermo rise to a hotter temp than it was before removing the dome.

WSM and a kettle...nice choices.

+1....

A few things, one man's experiences and of course all of the below is IMHO

1. If you're going to get the WSM, then spend the extra $100 bucks and get the 22.5 inch. I have both an 18.5 and a 22.5. The 22.5 is the workhorse and if I did not already have the 18.5 before I both the 22.5, I would not have bought the 18.5. As mentioned before, yes the 18.5 has two grates, so does the 22.5. Removing the top grate to get to the bottom grate, well if you can avoid that, then that's a plus. The 22.5 will allow you to get more on that top grate than you can get on the 18.5's top grate. More grate space often times comes in handy.

2. The water in the WSM is not brought to a boil in a normal situation. Also, you can add hot water to it if you like. So the part about it taking energy to heat the water up, can be addressed by using hot water at the beginning of the cook if you like. It's there to help maintain temps, so it helps with your temp control, and some believe that it adds moistness to your food. I've smoked on my on Kamado, and meat smoked on it, is not as moist as that smoked in my 22.5in or 18.5in WSM with the water bowl.

3. I use lump exclusively, but I also use a BBQ Guru. Except for when it's very cold outside, i.e. near freezing, or 32*F, I can cook for 12-14hrs using lump in my 22.5in WSM. If I were using briquettes, I could probably go longer, but I don't like the taste given off by some of the briquettes out there.

It is better to have the extra space when you need it, as opposed to having to get creative and trying to jam food onto a smaller smoker, so I highly recommend the 22.5.

4. The Kettle won't give you those Chernobyl type temperatures for searing steaks that a Kamado will, unless you're using something like a BBQ vortex ring and cast iron grates in it, and or lump charcoal with that. I used to use the firebox ring from my 18.5 in my 22in kettle and fill it with lump. I could peg the thermometer on it's lid doing this. After a few times doing that, the ceramic on the Kettle bowl started to crack. Plus because the handle of the Kettle lid is so close to the lid itself, it became hard to lift the lid without risking burning my knuckles, even with an oven mitt.

At any rate, good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
I would suggest a hinge for the WSM lid. And also add a second charcoal grate rotated 90 degrees from other charcoal grate to maximize fuel usage.

Back