ECB or Brinkmann Vertical?

Hmmm.. I don't know. I can't keep all three with school because I treat my smokers like people and won't ignore them. Hell, I'm thinking of selling/returning both and sticking with my Weber kettle.

She would happy if I returned it for something nice that I'd use. What that is, besides a console (which I don't have), I have no clue. It all matter whether I get store credit or refund.
use your credit 2 buy charcoal for that ECB..if its anything like mine,it'll need a lot of it..i say keep em all..most all brethren have mulitple cookers,and use em all at some point..respect to all the grandmas:clap2:

I think I'm going to return it.

And BTW charcoal's not a problem. Instead of drilling out the pan I just put the charcoal on a cooking grate with the charcoal tray below and I was staying around 225-250 F burning 15 briquettes an hour.

I used to use the old ECB. Started building a UDS for longer, more consistent burns. That being said the ECB treated me well and I didn't get one for a steal like you did. Enjoy it and take the money at home depot so you can build a UDS in the future!

Yesterday I picked up a 1 year old ECB for $10 with almost a whole bag of charcoal. it's in nice condition.

guess what? today I got a brinkmann vertical smoker for my b-day, with a receipt. Do I keep the ECB and get myself something nice as a refund, or keep the vertical and sell the ECB for pennies (like $15)

Thanks!

At some point you are going to need to cook more than one can hold, I would suggest keeping both and learning how to cook on both.

If you have the ECB Gourmet (the model with an outer base pan with a separate charcoal pan within) definitely keep that one. You can turn it into a great smoker with just a couple of minor mods.

I second what carbon said, the Gourmet model turns out great BBQ with just a few minor mods. Never used one of the rectangular verticals, but from what i understand, they do well with a few mods too.

Stock out of the box, they both suffer from ash build up snuffing out the coals.

I'd rather cook on a modded ECB than a modded el cheapo offset any day. The one disadvantage is the cooking area, not enough room for large racks of ribs, or full packer briskets etc. They turn out mean pork butts and other similar cuts.

Any of those can turn out great BBQ if you learn how to use it and are patient. I can't speak to how your grandmother would feel but, I would keep the one my grandmother gave me as it was a gift from someone who cared about me. Of course, i would keep both, so who am I to talk. i don't see smokers as people, they have no idea whether I am using them or not. It's not like having three girlfriends, where there is bound to be trouble.

I'll just say this again. I'm not keeping all three. I'll be cooking once every other week or so for the next nine months for the next 3 years, so I can't.

I'm going to talk to her but she seemed initially alright with returning it. In fact she thought it was hilarious I had just bought one before.

I have the Smoke N' Grill. I don't plan on using the pan ever, I loved the efficent set-up of using a cooking grate for the charcoal. Much more airflow.

I think I can get cash from the Depot, which would be nice for a non BBQ something.

BTW I did get a meat thermometer, Taylor grill thermometer, and a grill skillet.

I've had an el cheapo bullet and I still have the Brinkmann Vertical ~ IMHO, keep the vertical. Let me know if you are interested in the necessary mods and I'll post the pics.

keep the ecb and use the money for charcoal or lump and tools

Back