ECB Burn Time

I freakin love it!
Dudes discussin the ins and outs of the ECB......I've never owned a dog, but when I look at my ECB I think of mans best friend.

I must have Sanford in Son in blood or something. It seems all I do is rescue chit from the neighbors trash and give it a home(mine).
I've only paid for 2 of the 5 cookers in my backyard. Either I'm a complete loser or brilliant.
Gasser-lady next door sold her house and told me I could have it.
ECB- doofus down the street was about to put it in his trash and told me I could have it.
Webber Kettle-I actually took it from the trash of another neighbor without his knowledge, which makes me a trash digger.
Chargill offset- paid $135.00 for it at HD two years ago.
ECB II- paid $35.00 from craigslist. Brand new and I haven't even used it yet.

Who cares....one mans trash is another mans treasure I say...

Happy Easter eveerybody!! Look what the bunny brought

A New Smoker!!!!!
I got an ECB Gourmet. I will try a couple cooks stock before I modify it!!
stuff200.jpg

stuff199.jpg

stuff201.jpg

It should be a good addition to my offset.

It should be a good addition to my offset.

Congratulations!

I keep thinking the same thing. The offset uses a lot of fuel and I feel like since I have it up and running that I sure ought to cook more than just a single rack of ribs or a couple of chicken thighs so I have a tendency to cook more than I really need. I keep my freezer pretty full.

With a small upright I could feel better doing smaller quantities and still get that great flavor!

My thinking exactly. Some times you want some ABT's or a fatty, but it's not worth firing up the offset. Hopefully this fills that void

The smoker is now seasoned. The stock Thermometer is not very accurate. Other than that no major problems. I need to work on temp control. This will come with the mods.
stuff234.jpg

stuff235.jpg

stuff238.jpg

stuff236.jpg

stuff239.jpg

stuff241.jpg

stuff245.jpg

Say Vitamin, is that the thingamagig with the wire coming out the side of the lid?
How do them things work? How much do they cost? Do they work? Will the wire get singed and not work properly?

K,

Bed Bath and Beyond has a couple of Maverick models under $30. Work well in my big beast here.

CHris

Damn, that pretty green smoker brings back memories from about 10-12 years. Heres mine from last fall, not nearly as shiny. Enjoy the fun.

Attachments

• Lets eat.jpg
    Lets eat.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 64
On my new ECB the water pan is directly below the lower cooking grate. I seems to me the boiling water is 212*. It appears the food on the lower grate is steaming at 212* not cooking at 225-250* . Not much of a temp difference, but more a steam cook than a smoke. Am I way off base?
Eric

On my new ECB the water pan is directly below the lower cooking grate. I seems to me the boiling water is 212*. It appears the food on the lower grate is steaming at 212* not cooking at 225-250* . Not much of a temp difference, but more a steam cook than a smoke. Am I way off base?
Eric

Eric-
What I have found is that I get better results using sand instead of water in the pan. I also put two layers of foil over the top of the pan with the center pressed down a couple of inches to collect the fat & juices, so clean-up is easier.
Dave

Rookie, dude you put sand in the water pan? Whats that make the food tast like?
What happens when the sand gets heated up? Very curious.....Thanks brother!

Kev

Kev-
Yep, sand! But not just sand out of the local playground/catbox. Go to your local Menard's, Home Depot, Lowes, etc & get a bag of "washed" play sand, that gets most of the cooties out of it. As for the taste, you're covering it with the foil, right? No taste or smell. Really, all the water does is act as a heat sink / diffuser to turn the direct heat underneath the meat into indirect heat. I know that some people swear by adding a flavoring agent ( beer, orange or apple juice, etc. ) to the H2O pan, but I (IMHO) get better results using marinades or injections. Oh, yeah, store the rest of the sand where the cats won't get into it & change the old with new every 3 to 4 cooks or so. Just my $0.02 worth,
Dave

I've never added anything but boiling water to that sucker. I mean, to add anything thats gonna boil into a bunch a chit I gotta clean later sucks. When it(the water) cooks off, I add more with an elongated funnel I found in my 3 year olds toy box.
My only flavoring agents are the rub and the wood.
Dave, as far as the sand goes, I was wondering if the fatty drips would be throwing up any dust?

Thanks

Kev-
Okay, maybe I should have been a bit clearer on this. First, start with a clean H2O bowl. Add the sand (about 1 1/2 to 3 inches, it depends on your smoker, the outside temps, & your charcoal, then put on the foil, pressing it down in the center before you fold the edges tight. I use two layers of foil just in case. When I'm cleaning up & after the grease solidifies, all I have to do is pull one layer of the foil off (with the grease collected in the center), toss it, add one more layer & I'm ready for the next cook.
If I knew how to do the picture thingy it would be easier & more better, right?
Dave

AHhhhhhhh, so now I gets it!!!
Sorta like turnin that water bowl into a big heat blocker/regulator. No need for the pic thingy. Just a crack upside my head will do.

So sad. Today I tried to cook about 6 rub/injected/bacon blanketed pheasants in the dirty ole' ecb. Turned em into shoe strings. The breast were ok, but the legs and thighs could be used to lace your boots with. Maybe they should be done in the oven or somethin. They looked and smelled great. Scratchin my head...

In fact, they were so chitty I gave a bunch of it to the same neighbor who's trash I rescued my beloved ecb from.

Sand?

Ok, I'm relatively new to the "Brethren" however, I read somewhere that the water in the pan keeps the meat from drying out like leather. Isn't it more than just heat deflection?

Ray Zorback

go hogs go!
Arkansas: The only State that Roasts its own mascot before the game.

I read somewhere that the water in the pan keeps the meat from drying out like leather. Isn't it more than just heat deflection?

You're right about that to a point, but if you use a marinade or injection, then you really don't need the added moisture from the water pan. IMHO, (and remember that I'm A Rookie!), I think that I get better flavors & moisture by brining, marinading or injecting the meat & letting it rest in the fridge overnite. Also, keep a close eye on the chamber temps, 'cause if they go wild you are royally farked!
Dave

Back