Dylan Taylor BBQ Class (Picture Heavy)

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
After trying to schedule a class with Dylan Taylor for quite a while, the stars finally aligned and I got to spend my birthday this week in Fort Worth playing with smoke and fire for the day. Thought I would share photo's and details of the class for those who are interested.

- Dylan Taylor has a website https://www.taylorbbqcatering.com/about/ which gives you some background into his experience and there is a form to inquire about classes. You can also send an email to howdy@goldeesbbq.com which will probably get a faster response. He specializes in Central Texas Style BBQ.

- Now is a good time to schedule a class. Dylan is trying to open a restaurant in Fort Worth (Goldee's BBQ) with four of his childhood friends, but they have survey plat issues and septic permit issues that has pushed off their opening, so for the next three months he is only doing Pop Up's, Catering, and Classes.

- Pricing is always subject to change, but for me it was $700 for Brisket, and $370 for each additional meat. I was there from 9:00 am until almost 10:00 pm picking his brain and talking food with him and his partners, so for me it was very much worth the price and much better than taking a class with 50 other people.

9:00 am Lighting the Fire!

Light the Fire! by David Miller, on Flickr

Austin Smoke Works 500 Gallon. He took the wheels off because he was afraid someone would try to steal it from in front of the restaurant. Too me it looks like a train that has been derailed!

500 Gallon II by David Miller, on Flickr

If that was not cool enough he also has two 1,000 gallon Mill Scales Metalworks Smokers that they brought in for the restaurant.

Mill Scale 1,000 Gallon Open by David Miller, on Flickr
Mill Scale 1,000 Gallon by David Miller, on Flickr

I cringe when I see how much meat gets trimmed off during prep, but they use the trimmings for sausage, and extra fat gets rendered into tallow. We cooked three Briskets (One of which you take home), and reheated a Brisket from the previous day to eat during the cook.

Brisket Trim Raw by David Miller, on Flickr

Seasoned Up and ready to Smoke

Brisket Seasoned Raw by David Miller, on Flickr

Six Hours into the cook and the Briskets are sweating nicely!

6 Hours In by David Miller, on Flickr

Pulling to Wrap. Look at this fantastic crust!

Brisket Pull to Wrap by David Miller, on Flickr

When you are really tired and sweaty after a long day by the fire, and only two of your three Briskets are ready to pull, time to cop a squat and drink a beer!

End of Day by David Miller, on Flickr

Next Day Brisket Gently Reheated in Butcher Paper and Foil

Next Day Brisket by David Miller, on Flickr

Next Day Brisket Slice, still very moist and juicy.

Cooked Brisket Slice by David Miller, on Flickr

Is it wrong that I want to lick the Butcher Paper?

Butcher Paper by David Miller, on Flickr

Thanks! David

Looks like an awesome time, thanks for sharing. The last picture of trimmed brisket before theyre rubbed - is that the finished trimmed brisket or did more of the fat get removed from the flat? Couldnt really tell after they have rub on them.

So what did you learn that you didn't know before?

Fire management on these beasts was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The huge firebox gives you a lot of options. I don’t want to give away any of his “secrets” but I learned a lot of tips for air flow and temp control. Also got great information on making central Texas style beef sausage. I’ve made a lot of sausage in my day, but I had never mastered that type of sausage. Looking forward to playing with the recipes at home now.

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Looks like an awesome time, thanks for sharing. The last picture of trimmed brisket before theyre rubbed - is that the finished trimmed brisket or did more of the fat get removed from the flat? Couldnt really tell after they have rub on them.

Took the fat on the flat down more than as pictured. Left about a quarter inch all the way down except for the very corner edge which was a little thicker fat.

giphy.gif

Very cool! Would love to do that one day. Love that Central TX sausage! I'd be very interested in checking out that class as well as the brisket for sure.

And - anybody who isn't rendering tallow from their beef fat trimmings is missing out! Easy to do and great stuff.

That's great that you had a private instructor for the day, that's the best way to learn.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that Dylan is very open when it comes to instruction. Some people learn better from watching, others like me like to go hands on so he trimmed the first Brisket and then let me cut the other while he guided me through his process. He's open to letting you video the lesson if you want, take copious notes, and no non-disclosure agreements or contracts, just a handshake kind of deal.

Dylan's classes are great, I went for brisket and sausage last year when he was still in Austin. I can't speak highly enough for the knowledge and instruction he shares. Definitely worth every penny and more.

Austin SW

I’m going to get into catering and after watching Dylan’s in action with briskets I had to have one.
Mattb82,

Can't believe you have an Austin Smoke works 500 Gallon on order AND an Outlaw! Talk about an abundance of riches! Smoke on! :clap2:

Back