Dumb Question

If I don't feel like dragging out the weedburner, I'll use cubes/chimney. Works great.

i second what RonL and Lola said, i use the side burner on the gas grill. Its really the only thing i use the old gasser for. As for the cubes, i've used them in the chimney as illustrated with success, but the side burner works best for me and its quicker.

Im 4th on this one. If you have a sideburner, this is the way to go!

another vote for the weber cubes

been using them for years

just need one

they work, they are idiot proof, they store away nice and neat.

i've used all sorts of crap to light the chimney. from newspaper to sternos.

i'll NEVER use anything else after trying the weber cubes.

BTW, you only need to use one.

^^^^ This.

I am the same way. Ever since using these, I will not go back. They are Farkin awesome!

Im 4th on this one. If you have a sideburner, this is the way to go!

I'll 5th this. Since discovering this method (from a post on here), I've not used any other method. Honestly, I think it's more that I can light that sideburner without a match or lighter than for any other reason.

The cubes work great. One will work but I still use two.
@ MoDave...never timed them but long enough!:becky:

Not sure why u guys use vegetable oil on ur paper towels or newspaper. I've used both just fine without any oil at all and the chimney lights up just fine. Any reason to use the oil?

The cubes are TOO easy!!! One under a half full chimney of lump and you'll be good to go. I've used two before, but only with a full load in the chimney.

Be careful though...they get so hot you can melt your driveway if it's blacktop (found that one out accidentlly).

One will burn 10-12 minutes. Ample time to get a half full stack of lump going.

Not sure why u guys use vegetable oil on ur paper towels or newspaper. I've used both just fine without any oil at all and the chimney lights up just fine. Any reason to use the oil?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself. For the chimney when using the UDS, I just use straight newspaper.

In my BGE with lump I bought some of the BGE starter cubes. They cost $6.99 for a box that lasts a long time, only taking one to get the BGE going (I break in into 3-4 pieces and spread if out. I just found what appears to be the same cubes but without the BGE name on them at Tractor Supply for $1.99. I'll be buying some of those when the BGE ones run out and save 5 bux a box.

I usually use 2 cubes to start all my fires with a chimney, 1 will suffice.. matter of habit...especially like them at BBQ Contests...in the rain, snow etc...they work really well!

I've used them at high altitude ...Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Switzerland...did great..

Low altitude...Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Monument Valley....did great...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

If this is a stupid question, somebody slap me. But if the cubes are so good, why can't you just tuck them in with the charcoal in your cooker without the chimney? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? :confused:

If this is a stupid question, somebody slap me. But if the cubes are so good, why can't you just tuck them in with the charcoal in your cooker without the chimney? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? :confused:

They were made for grilling and I think that is what the instructions on the package says....so....no reason why that wouldn't work :-D

Back