Pulled pork butt. How much wood

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Using a Weber summit. How much wood should I mix in with charcoal?
I have wood chunks. I normally use 5-6. How much is too much and too little?
Thanks!

In a Kamado I’d use lump charcoal and 5 or 6 pieces the size of your finger.

This^^^

You don’t want big chunks or the smoke will be stale and the foor will be bitter. Summits are almost too efficient in the fact that it doesn’t take much air to maintain temps so chunks smolder for too long.

Thanks. Well I guess it will be oversmoked!
I’ve never used lump. Just Kingsford briquettes. Also just bought cowboy briquettes

Just because they sell flavor wood in chunks, doesn't mean you have to burn chunks. I size my flavor wood to my cooker.

0dHwDW2.jpg

SFgCLgu.jpg

In the IVS I mix all my splits in the first 3 hours of charcoal. They say that meat doesn't take on smoke after 140*...so, well they say it enough that I cook as if it's true.

-D

They don’t let me play w tools :)
No way I could do that

Heheheee... I intentionally took a close up, but that's only a 2-1/2# hammer and a 5" wedge. I probably need a better picture.

In the IVS I mix all my splits in the first 3 hours of charcoal. They say that meat doesn't take on smoke after 140*...so, well they say it enough that I cook as if it's true.

-D

I think they mean the smoke ring stops forming around 140° surface temp.

EDIT - Wait a minute.... I have a better picture.

5qGk0Gy.jpg

Last edited:
They say that meat doesn't take on smoke after 140*...so, well they say it enough that I cook as if it's true.-D

That is a common misconception. What confuses people to say that meat does not take on smoke after 140F is that the chemical reaction responsible for the smoke ring usually quits when the internal meat temperature hits 140F. As long as the meat is exposed to smoke, it is still being flavored regardless of the temperature of the meat.

Heheheee... I intentionally took a close up, but that's only a 2-1/2# hammer and a 5" wedge. I probably need a better picture.

I think they mean the smoke ring stops forming around 140° surface temp.

EDIT - Wait a minute.... I have a better picture.

5qGk0Gy.jpg

What’s the metal base?

Back