Duck fat spray

sjb67

Full Fledged Farker
Ok bought some duck fat spray to coat my turkey with before smoking and when you shake the can it feels like a solid mass is in there but it sprays fine.
Anyone know if this is normal or encountered it before?

Inside the can is a bladder of duck fat(similar to a waterbed or a boxed wine)surrounding the bladder is the compressed accelerant. Duck Fat gels fairly quickly and can clog the spout and stem. You can shake it all you want but usually the reason it won’t spray is the stem and or spray nozzle has gelled. Simply run it under warm water to clear

https://duckfatspray.com/faqs/

Thanks that explains the solid sound when you shake it. It sprays fine. I will remember the hot water if it clogs

Read the FAQ link above and Amazon reviews below. The “thud” is perfectly normal. This is not hairspray where product and aerosol delivery system are mixed. Feel sad for people who discarded their cans when the issue was operator error. Local United Grocery sometimes has it for $15 per can, same item at Walmart $8.

Cornhusker Kitchen Gourmet Duck Fat Spray Cooking Oil Bottle - All Natural Foods Gluten-Free Organic Lard Unsaturated Fat - 7oz (198g) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYSML47/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gyp3Db0XATFMM

Do you apply the duck fat to the turkey at the start of the cook or sometime during the cook? Does it help to keep the turkey from getting too dark or is it supposed to make it darker? I'm using cherry wood this year so color wont be a problem,in fact I may have to tent the birds somewhere along the way. Thanks.

Do you apply the duck fat to the turkey at the start of the cook or sometime during the cook? Does it help to keep the turkey from getting too dark or is it supposed to make it darker? I'm using cherry wood this year so color wont be a problem,in fact I may have to tent the birds somewhere along the way. Thanks.

The duck fat adds flavor and helps rub stick. Spray bird with the duck fat before applying rub. Make sure you have allowed the turkey skin to air dry for at least 12 hours uncovered in the fridge before applying the duck fat. It also helps with even browning. From my experience, cherry wood does the opposite and often gives me much darker colors than other woods like pecan for example, but as always YMMV...

Back