Spray/Spritz Brisket

bbqbrisket

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
So I recently saw a youtube of the Mad Scientist BBQ of the 12 mistakes in doing brisket. One of the mistakes is not to spray the fat; spray only the meat.
How can one not spray the fat when the brisket is cooking fat side up. How's you gonna spray the bottom or sides without everything dripping off. It didn't make sense to me.
Maybe someone has a better explanation.
Thanks

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, don't overthink it; spray if you wanna spray, don't if you can't be arsed, if the fat cap gets wet so be it

I haven't seen the video you are asking about but i think the Scientist generally cooks on offsets with the fat cap up.I think he meant not to deliberately hose off the entire fat cap of the brisket. I keep a sprayer with an adjustable nozzle when i cook brisket. If i see an edge or corner that looks like its drying out i will spot spray just those spots and thats all. I'm sure a little splashes on the fat but it's nothing to worry about.

I've never seen anyone tip a brisket up to spray the bottom cooking fat side up so i doubt that's what he meant.

I don't spritz briskets at all. Have in the past a time or two but not necessary.

My theory on spritzing is all it really does is add humidity/moisture to the cook chamber. You probably don't even need to get any of it on the actual brisket. Watch how haphazardly they spray at Franklins.

It does seem to do something though to the bark and smoke flavor. Possibly same way as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkGd1qdkXzw

I don't spritz because I cook fat cap down and put the meat side down after I wrap in BP. The bark gets a little hard but sitting in fat softens it up and keeps the flat moist.

Back