Drying/dry brining prime rib?

ECB

Knows what a fatty is.
I've seen a fee guides mention putting a prime rib in the fridge a few days un seasoned to "dry out" as well as a few mention seasoning it(salt and pepper) a day or two early.

My question is does anyone have experience with either method? Are either worth the effort or do most of you just season a couple hours early and cook?

I saw Alton brown wrap it in cheese cloth and let it sit in the fridge for 4-5 days. Was almost thinking about going this route then 24 hrs prior to cooking, salt/pepper and back in the fridge.

Anyone see any issues with that or have any advice?

Thanks y'all and happy holidays!

No sorry, I season mine about four hours before taking out of the fridge and allowing to sit at room temperature for an hour before cooking.

I am sure there are many who season much differently. Some have posted in the past that they season the day before, and let it rest in the refrigerator for a day.

I'm a dry briner when it comes to roasts and loins, prime rib included. I typically (kosher) salt the roast and leave it in the fridge on a rack with a pan under it so that air can circulate all the way around for 24 hours or so before seasoning and cooking. To me, it helps infuse (salt) flavor into the center of the roast while also drying the outside, which helps with forming a crust during the cook.

I'm a dry briner when it comes to roasts and loins, prime rib included. I typically (kosher) salt the roast and leave it in the fridge on a rack with a pan under it so that air can circulate all the way around for 24 hours or so before seasoning and cooking. To me, it helps infuse (salt) flavor into the center of the roast while also drying the outside, which helps with forming a crust during the cook.

Thanks! When you season it do you omit salt? Do you rinse it and then season it normally?

Thanks! When you season it do you omit salt? Do you rinse it and then season it normally?

It really depends on the size of whatever I'm working with. For a rib roast, I wouldn't worry about omitting the salt from my rub (or I often use a compound butter on the exterior). What's on the outside isn't going to penetrate much anyway during cooking, so you're mostly providing flavor for the crust at that point. Meanwhile, a lot of the salt flavor that you put on the outside when you dry-brined gets absorbed throughout the roast, so the outside really isn't all that salty. If you're working with a particularly salty rub recipe, you could reduce the amount of salt, but I haven't found it to be an issue. If you were working with a smaller or thinner piece of meat, then the salt amount could become an issue.

No need to wipe it off after the dry brine. The salt will be gone. You may have some moisture on the outside of the meat or it may be mostly dry. Just season as you would at that point and go to cooking!

Back