THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MadCityJim

Knows what a fatty is.
Three weeks ago, the wife says, "how about we have some steaks for dinner tonight?” I was heading to Sam's Club anyway. Unfortunately the steaks were pretty picked over so I checked out the cryovacs and found a nice loin with a full fat-cap and some signs of nice marbling on each end.

So I cut steaks for the family that night, and wrapped the rest in potato bag cloth and stashed it in the workshop fridge. I changed the cloths a couple of times the first week. About a week ago we cut a couple of more steaks off of it. Then rewrapped it and back into the workshop fridge.

So here’s the last of it after 3 weeks. We’re having a couple of friends over so I need 4 steaks.
dryaged-001.jpg
dryaged-002.jpg

I figure after I trim the ends there’s 7 inches left so I shoot for 1 3/4 inch steaks.
dryaged-003.jpg

I carefully trim the black meat as well as the fat.
dryaged-004.jpg

I salt them lightly with kosher salt and they’re into the fridge until 5pm.
dryaged-005.jpg

At 5pm they’ll go into a just warm oven for an hour while I fire up the Weber kettle. They’ll get a coating of EV Olive Oil and more salt and 4 minutes a side on a hot grill.

Those are going to be awesome tasting!! Your friends will never leave:wink:. BTW, why did you cut all of the sub Q fat off, is that the norm?

Last edited:
When the steaks are aged this long, the I think fat can get a gamey taste to it, so I trim pretty close to the red meat anytime I age more than 2 weeks. But that's based on what I like. Some people like the deep aged flavor, but I like the concentrated beef flavor and the increased tenderness that come with the aging. I also like going through the process with the whole loin and spliting it into 3-4 meals over 3 weeks.

Good lookin hunkocow.I'm gonna buy a Ribeye Primal and toss it in the cooler for AT LEAST 35 days,uncovered ,on a rack,in a drippan,slice,not trim and cook just to see if it's worth it.I like the thickness on your steaks.

Back