Let's Take a Ride on the Wayback Machine to 1959 ~ Beef Steaks

Dang I’d like to try my hand with the Round steak

I used to love getting a big ol round steak, not quite the Fred Flintstone one wayne posted, and marinating it and then flash grilling over an inferno on the kettle. I'd make up a nice au jus to go with it...maybe a horsey sauce and some of :becky:'s mashed taters and gravy.

top round has a good beef flavor

Back in the early days when rent money went into the envelope each week, if we were feeling rich we'd get a big 'ol bone in round steak, salt and pepper it and put under the broiler till it looked cooked enough. I was aware the eye was just for my half.
That's back when a $40 grocery bill was a killer.
Ed

When I was a little boy in the '60s, steaks were very different. The two of these examples I remember the most were full sized bone-in round steaks... and T-bones that always had the 'tail'.

sUhGTAk.jpg

Thanks for learning these puppies. Play close attention to the video, guy. I lost the 3 footer but still have the other two.

https://youtu.be/phL-U_lVKmM?si=qrGBHa7e3pmFRdCe

What's a baking nail?

Family of 6 one income. Dad would grill three TBones and we'd split. Well done and crunchy. Gnawing the bone yielded the moistest meat. The aroma of Kingsford and GulfLite, lit with a blue diamond match still hits the feels. Our baked potatoes were cooked with a baking nail.

I can remember all you mentioned, with the exception of the "baking nail"....what is that?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

A flat iron was always in the shoulder, but the University of Nebraska promoted a different style of butchering to harvest that steak, which added a few dollars to the net profit of a steer. Fun fact: The Vegas Strip steak comes from the chuck, near the flat iron.

flat iron is my go to steak, inexpensive and lots of great beef flavor

Family of 6 one income. Dad would grill three TBones and we'd split. Well done and crunchy. Gnawing the bone yielded the moistest meat. The aroma of Kingsford and GulfLite, lit with a blue diamond match still hits the feels. Our baked potatoes were cooked with a baking nail.

I don't know if this is a flash-back or a wayback.... But I got 'em horizontally, and vertically. :mrgreen:

kimVX6U.jpg

6qkpc8U.jpg

Back