Dry aged didnt work

Sebigol

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Sebitron
Hi guys,

So im dry aging for the first time in a refregerator with no bag, i follow every condition, humidity, temp, etc, everything whent great, the meat turn perfectly black, then de inside was beautifully red, but no smell at all. I tried it 10 mins ago and tastes like normal steak, what happened? Thanks!

I haven't done any dry aging myself, but from what I've read, you don't really get any of the flavors or textures until about 30 days. At 20 days, it'll draw out moisture and it should taste a little beefier. I'm sure others with more experience will comment soon.

At 20 days I don’t get a ton of flavor change. It starts getting tender though. I usually go for 6 weeks. Maybe try that and see??

The “sweet spot” for me is 45 day.I have tried from 21 day to 90 day.To me,it gets too metallic tasting after 60 or so days.Good Luck.
I must add,my favorite way to age a big primal cut is to wet age it followed by a dry age to minimize the trimming waste.I prefer to “wet age” in the cryovac for 35 days followed by a 14-21 day dry age.This gives the best results in my opinion.Less waste from trimming and a really balanced beefy flavor profile.

Last edited:
Like the guys said. 45 days minimum.

This one I did a while back is 53 days. UMAI bag

tg3yIUMh.png

I'm about to try dry aging a two bone 7# standing rib roast. Reading Todd's link (above) gives me concern in that I don't have or want to get a dedicated fridge for this project. Can I get this done in the garage fridge that I use for overflow products and without a bag? Also, since the butcher has cut away the meat from the bone and tied it back together, does it make any sense to keep it that way during the process of aging or am I just as well off removing and munching it now after rotisserie?

I wouldn't do it in that fridge personally. The smell from the meat is STRONG! I doubt the meat would take on much of the smells from the other fridge stuff though.
The bones help so you don't lose as much to trimming. You might want to enjoy that one now and then get another bone-in. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back