THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
A neighbor friend recently got a MAK 1 Star and is extremely happy with it. The only problem for him and his wife is that the Bear Mountain hickory pellets that shipped with the grill produced a bit more smoke flavor than they prefer. He switched to a Weber blend that produced a lighter smoke flavor they they really like. They feel that it's closer to the charcoal flavor they are used to.

True story.

Well actually yes. I have felt that 100% hickory pellets on smoke setting over night was more smoke that I was looking for. Even more smoke that I get from a cleanly run stick burner. Never got a charcoal flavor though.

Definitely subjective. I use Bear Mountain (almost said BM, but that’s weird… lol) hickory pellets all the time. Never have I felt food is over smoked. Tom mentioned 100% hickory being to heavy for him. Bear Mountain are not 100%.

I prefer Bear Mountain Hickory as well. No one has complained about being too smoky. I have tried Bear Mountain oak, apple, & cherry but have gone back to Hickory.

I had an experience a few years back with hickory pellets & have sworn them off since, just the smell makes me queasy. I did a tray of Mac & Cheese & a prime rib on my pellet grill with hickory, the entire smoke I was not liking the smell but forged ahead since I made it all. I could barely eat it when I sat down then got sick that night after eating & haven’t made smoked Mac & cheese or used any form of hickory since. Since then any other pellet or charcoal is fine, could have been a fluke but I’ll never try hickory again.

BM hickory is my go to. They’re extremely hard to find in my area. Tractor Supply has BM, but not the hickory. I’ve used B&B, but prefer BM. To be fair though, my 1 Star does produce a heavier smoke profile over the Yoder, so depending on preference, I can see that from a MAK.

Back