Using up undesirable pellets

rossn

I'm new to pellet smokers. Picked one up from someone moving, and it happened to have Traeger Apple Pellets. Having read up a little here, I went out and got a bag of hickory and competition lumberjack pellets.

So, I have most of a bag of the traeger pellets around, and today I have two butts going with the competition pellets. My understanding is that the meat takes most of the smoke/flavor in the first few hours.

Half way through should I add and use up some of those traeger pellets, or will that do something odd to the flavor or cooking?

Thanks!

Use those pellets if you ever wrap something. Also, cooking at higher temps you get way less smoke so it probably wouldn't make that big of a difference then.

Actually the smoke ring stops forming when the exterior of the meat reaches 140°, which takes a couple hours with many things like briskets or butts. But you can keep piling on the smoke until the meat is inedible.

Fun fact #2 is that I've seen several surveys of people's favorite pellets and Traeger pellets are usually near the top. I think it's somewhat due to the fact that Traeger has marketed cookers and pellets for a long time and people are sort of conditioned to the flavor they produce.

I don't think any pellets are bad if they are pellets made for cooking. I like Lumberjack Comp but it is readily available where I live. If someone gifted me a bag of anything else I would have no problem using it. I am sure some are better than others, but I don't think the differences are as drastic as say charcoal.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Back