Do you coat your que with olive oil before queing?

Actually there is no such thing as evoo. It's all just olive oil that has been pressed or ran through a centrifuge to separate water, skins etc. My buddy is from Kalamatta, Greece. He brings me olive oil from a venicia market that has no English on the can, is kinda cloudy but clear, and blows any of these so called store branded "extra virgin" olive oils out of the water. What works best IMO is to make a slurry of 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup rub. Spices will dissolve worlds better and infuse the meat or skin way better than mustard or whatever other glue is used.
1AC09FA0-32DC-4FDB-B5A1-7B1CF08F7274-2694-000003FFD7491F9C.jpg

BBFF4EA9-5B86-45A1-A5FC-EBD1DF9C9218-2722-00000400E86834E6.jpg

You are right about most of it but there is a thing called EVOO, it is defined by being the first pressing whether by centrifuge or not, along with other characteristics like the low percentage of free fatty acids and other characteristics.
Australia is the worlds premium producer atm I am proud to say, and very reasonable until we reach the point of recognition that other brands in other countries earned decades ago.
Greece does a lot of grilling and roasting and 4 out of 5 containers sold there are EVOO, so if you have a prejudice just find some good quality fresh EVOO and give it a go.
You are so right about the difference of the fair dinkum EVOO compared to commercially refined stuff.

Personally, I don't give a carp about what oil it is..........I've used Penzoil!:shock::-D Seriously, I don't pay much attention to what grade it is, I'll add a slight drizzle to the meat just to get a bit better rub adhesion. I stopped doing mustard long ago. I found NO flavor difference between the two and oil is less mess.
There is however lots to be said for a a good oil when it comes to cooking or making a dressing. Oils as the main ingredient bring many different taste levels and profiles to the party depending on their use.

http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/great-oil/how-to-buy-great-olive-oil
This is pretty much what I have found to be the truth in my experience. Bucc is a pretty spot on guy regarding this whole olive mash thing.

Since I'm putting a bunch of smoke onto my big cuts, I don't usually put much of anything beyond some canola, and that's only if my rub is consisting of more than like three ingredients. I've used some good EVOO on some steaks before, but I didn't really get any olive notes, so never did it again.

I do use EVOO for dressings, pasta, and bread though. I use Olive & Co right now, it ain't bad, but it isn't the best around either I'm pretty sure.

I use Rice Bran oil,no taste ,high flash.
Cheers.
Titch

I really thought the OP was talking about rubbing the grates with oil. :confused:

Because I've tried this on my grill to prevent sticking of things (salmon mostly) and it didn't really help.

Actually there is no such thing as evoo. It's all just olive oil that has been pressed or ran through a centrifuge to separate water, skins etc. My buddy is from Kalamatta, Greece. He brings me olive oil from a venicia market that has no English on the can, is kinda cloudy but clear, and blows any of these so called store branded "extra virgin" olive oils out of the water. What works best IMO is to make a slurry of 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup rub. Spices will dissolve worlds better and infuse the meat or skin way better than mustard or whatever other glue is used.
1AC09FA0-32DC-4FDB-B5A1-7B1CF08F7274-2694-000003FFD7491F9C.jpg

BBFF4EA9-5B86-45A1-A5FC-EBD1DF9C9218-2722-00000400E86834E6.jpg

Oh Lawd !!!

Now I'm starving again!

90% of the time I use EVOO. I sometimes use mustard, but in all honesty I don't see a difference in flavor, so i have just been using olive oil. Poultry products always get oiled however.

I like the peanut oil idea for birds. Ill have to try that out.

To answer the OP question,yes I do, and since it has a shelf life, I use whatever is in the pantry. I find it makes a difference in the moistness of leaner meats.

As I understand it, using oil serves two purposes. First, obviously, is to make it so the rub sticks. Second is to act as a flavor conduit for the rub and smoke to get into the meat. I use EVOO pretty much all the time when I BBQ. Occasionally I will use mustard instead. I don't use it for higher heat grilling, however. From what I know, the smoke point of EVOO is, I believe, 320* or so. When I BBQ, I am always below 300* (and usually more in the 250* range) so I am not worried about heat ruining the EVOO. I don't use the high quality stuff, however, just the massive bottle of it I get from Costco.

Back