Do boxes ever really get switched?

I had to look back and make sure I wasn't in the "Things Losers Say" forum.. ha. no seriously... cook it right...and be consistent. Close the box and hope for the best. While first to last with the same product is just crazy.

I think it’s very highly possible that alternate numbers get switch!.. If you ever watch turn in’s, it is not the rep (usually) who verifies the numbers and sticks on a new one. Sometimes reps are not around to double check what all is going on. I’ve scratched my head more than once wondering WTH happened when I see scores of some teams I KNOW that can cook a hell of a lot better on a bad day, when I see their scores. More and more, I find it extremely important to go to contests where I know the reps will do a good job, and have competent people around them.

Kempis, I got a comment card back that said 'brisket tastes like salmon', we still took a 3rd, but, apparently, one judge felt we had cooked it with some salmon. That cooker specifically never saw fish, as it was for pork and beef. Who knows sometimes.

How much fish sauce though? Redboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller
Yea, even Kempis was afraid to call me saturday night... I was mad. But, there is always this weekend i guess... im over it really i am ...

I'm not! This is the most discouraged I've been in a loooong time.

I'm not either!! This is gonna take awhile!!

How much fish sauce though? Redboat?
Funny enough, none. I was not the head cook, in fact, I was not supposed to be cooking at all, but, when I got there and took a few tastes of the rub and sauce, I told the head cook they were way off. He asked me to make some adjustments. Thus, I ended up making the rubs, sauces and a few other adjustments. No fish were harmed in the process. It was truly weird.

It is possible to make a mistake in re numbering. But very difficult for it to go undetected.

Since labels are printed in advance, there has to be 2 mistakes that reverse the numbers on 2 teams boxes for the labels to come out even. Again, possible, but unlikely. Very unlikely.

Look for another cause.

I've worked the turn-in table and can assure you that there were NO mistakes at that contest! Can't verify other contests, but if they are run like the one I worked then there is almost NO way for numbers to get switched.
If you have a serious question then talk to the REPs immediately and they can attempt to see if anything happened. Again, HIGHLY unlikely!

We had a great cook at SAMs Knoxville, really felt great about everything. 3rd chicken, 5th ribs, 8th brisket...everyone thought we were going to be GC. Pork was like 26 of 28 and 140 something...our lowest score ever. Finished 11th overall. I keep telling myself I'm over it but my wife doesn't believe me.

It seems to me that the biggest chance for a mistake would come at the point when scores are put in the computer...a bunch of numbers that have to be recorded at a hectic time. Lots of room for honest human error.

It makes you wonder if the turn in boxes handed out were labeled wrong. So what ever you turned in was actually someone else team number . Just a suggestion .

It seems to me that the biggest chance for a mistake would come at the point when scores are put in the computer...a bunch of numbers that have to be recorded at a hectic time. Lots of room for honest human error.

That is the most likely point, as it also involved reading people's handwriting reliably. I would like to see score cards where you check boxes labels 1-9, vs. having the reps puzzle over whether that was a 9 or a 4.

That is the most likely point, as it also involved reading people's handwriting reliably. I would like to see score cards where you check boxes labels 1-9, vs. having the reps puzzle over whether that was a 9 or a 4.
I wouldn't. We experimented with that type of score sheet last year and the amount of text on the page required demanded that it either be very small or the score sheets enlarged. Then you have the issue of sauce drops, finger marks or stains obscuring or marking multiple spots.

It makes you wonder if the turn in boxes handed out were labeled wrong. So what ever you turned in was actually someone else team number . Just a suggestion .

This wasn't the problem. When Mike Lake and his wife handed out the boxes they had you verify the number on each box matched the number next to your team name on their sheet and then initial their sheet signifying you verified it. I got some wacky scores at this contest as well, I suspect there were a bunch of new judges at this contest.

This wasn't the problem. When Mike Lake and his wife handed out the boxes they had you verify the number on each box matched the number next to your team name on their sheet and then initial their sheet signifying you verified it. I got some wacky scores at this contest as well, I suspect there were a bunch of new judges at this contest.

Didn't happen for our boxes they handed us our boxes during middle of set up and I know I didn't initial anything.

Kempis, I got a comment card back that said 'brisket tastes like salmon', we still took a 3rd, but, apparently, one judge felt we had cooked it with some salmon. That cooker specifically never saw fish, as it was for pork and beef. Who knows sometimes.

This is bizarre, but I got a comment card three weeks ago saying my ribs tasted like they'd been cooked in a smoker that had been used to cook fish. And trust me we didn't finish 3rd. That comment card had me freaking out over our ribs source. Fortunately I was able to get to a place where I could attribute the comment to an outlier and moved on to a 2nd place finish this past Saturday in the "fish cooker".

Back