THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the "Pop" quiz I say mustard does not fit. I have never glazed a brisket but I do use the drippings and a little sauce to moisten the slices. Primarily the drippings though. Right or wrong, I get those drippings from wrapping in foil. Hey, it works for me.

That sound you all probably heard this afternoon was me falling out of my chair at this egregious attack on mustard! I myself would say that one would be hard pressed to come up with a list, any list, pertaining to real actual pure BBQ that mustard cannot be squeezed into.

No mustard indeed! I must say good day to you sir, I am off to prepare sauce for the mustard and rub slathered butt that is dripping on the coals in my UDS even as we speak. Time to measure the mustard and vinegar. :lol:

Oh, and I don't sauce brisket at all. That is if you don't count the mustard rub before the dry rub.

That sound you all probably heard this afternoon was me falling out of my chair at this egregious attack on mustard! I myself would say that one would be hard pressed to come up with a list, any list, pertaining to real actual pure BBQ that mustard cannot be squeezed into.

No mustard indeed! I must say good day to you sir, I am off to prepare sauce for the mustard and rub slathered butt that is dripping on the coals in my UDS even as we speak. Time to measure the mustard and vinegar. :lol:

Oh, and I don't sauce brisket at all. That is if you don't count the mustard rub before the dry rub.

As I said above... I agree. I will expand too. Not only is Mustard found a majority of sauces, and not only is it the base of an entire genre of sauces in South Carolina - (a moment here... of all the things I do for some reason there seems to be a real obsession with both my Hit me Fred Sauce both on You Tube and here in Texas)

But it has been used extensively as a way to get more rub to stick to the meat here at the brethren. However, the real reason it does a good job on some meats (where pores are tight like in Pork) is that is actually a way that can keep the high vinegar content sticking to the meat - like a vinegar gel)

So yes, Mustard would be a part of that test.

Now, as far as Jorge... LOL, as many people can disagree that Funk has no place in BBQ as people would say a Harpoon does...

Of course, you would nix all soul food influence by doing that.

I don't sauce at home....except for burnt ends.

I made a trip to KC earlier this year and had lunch with a couple of friends and had some burnt ends that I considered mediocre, but really enjoyed them because it was a pleasant change from the norm.

I'd like that option here in Texas when I go out, to let somebody else do the cooking.

As far as the video....I'll say thank you anytime I can get my hands on a plate of something that Steph and/or Kyle (TheSlabs.com) have cooked. They are both, phenomenal cooks.

Back