Discussion Thread -> " Show Off Your Pies" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

My Pies

This is my official entry into the Pie.
I read the category description and it said "Show off your pies"
Since Pies is plural I will do just that.

View attachment 84162

I wasn't going to enter this one because I just couldn't get inspired. After the wife said "I invited some friends for dinner Saturday" That means "What are you cooking?" Well I had a leg of lamb in the freezer so I decided to roast that. What to go with it? I found a spinach pie recipe on the net that I had to try. Cool. Now I'll have something to enter. The wife approved. "But what about desert?" she coyly said. "Look what I found in this magazine. A skillet apple pie!" I'm a sucker for anything cooked in cast iron, and she knows it.
We will start with the skillet apple pie.

Here are the ingredients

View attachment 84163

Peal and slice Granny Smith apples in the usual way. Coat in a mixture of brown sugar and flour.

View attachment 84164

Melt a quarter stick of butter in a large skillet and sauté apples until tender, about 15 minutes.

View attachment 84165
View attachment 84166

Let the apples cool for 30 minutes when done. Meanwhile make the batter that goes into the pie.
Flour, salt, baking powder,3 eggs, Bourbon, and toasted pecans.

View attachment 84167
View attachment 84168

I used a ready made pie crust for this. Roll the dough out a bit so it go up the side of the skillet.

View attachment 84169

Add 2/3 apple filling then spread the batter around. Add the rest of the apples on top.

View attachment 84170

Cook at 350 deg. for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

View attachment 84172

This is the cooled pie when done.

View attachment 84173

Mmmmm, Pie!

View attachment 84174

This was delicious! Do you like my new plates?

View attachment 84175

The spinach pie went like this.
Here are the dough ingredients. Flour, white wine, olive oil and salt.

View attachment 84176

Mix the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic for a bit.
Meanwhile make the filling. Cooked chopped spinach, ricotta cheese, 1 egg Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Split the dough in two and roll out 2 layers. Carefully put the filling on the bottom like so...

View attachment 84177

Cover with the top and carefully shape. Put a small bowel in the middle and poke fork holes all around. Seal the edges with fork close to the filling.

View attachment 84178

Trim the edge with a pizza cutter.

View attachment 84179

With the bowel in place, using a sharp knife cut the borders and turn 90 deg.

View attachment 84180

It cooked in the Kamado at 350 deg for 30 minutes.

View attachment 84181

I am all out of photo space now. Both pies were a big hit.
The spinach pie went perfect with the leg of lamb and rosemary roasted potatoes, and the apple pie was served with a caramel cider sauce.

Please use this as my entry shot

View attachment 84162

Pie for now!

Last edited:
Smoked Jalepeño Bacon Cream Cheese Pie w/ Raspberry Chipotle Topping

This is my entry into the “Show off Your Pies” Throwdown and was inspired by Oldyote’s winning “Berry Me” entry.

Here are most of the ingredients.

IMG_4559_zpsaadc3976.jpg

Made up some graham cracker crust. After smearing my CI pie pan with some butter flavored Crisco I press in the crust.

IMG_4562_zps651308e9.jpg

IMG_4563_zpsf7c93473.jpg

Made up a bacon weave and placed it on the kamado.

IMG_4566_zpsda38d9c7.jpg

IMG_4568_zps1afbfa37.jpg

Because I couldn’t flip the weave I placed my bacon press on the burner for 10 minutes. After it’s smoking hot I placed it on top of the weave.

IMG_4569_zps5dac5cb0.jpg

IMG_4571_zpscbe8fce9.jpg

While that cooks I prep my jalapeños.
IMG_4573_zps4a243837.jpg

On the grill they go for 15 minutes along with the pie crust for 7 minutes at 350.

IMG_4576_zpsf681944c.jpg

After the weave is cooked I place it in the bottom of the pie crust.

IMG_4577_zps8e5ed7f6.jpg

IMG_4578_zpsb008f926.jpg

Then the smoked jalapeño rings and cream cheese pie filling.
IMG_4582_zpsd3f8b2b9.jpg

IMG_4585_zps2b174d91.jpg

Now the pie goes into the kamado for 40 minutes at 350.
IMG_4586_zps0549b8b4.jpg

Here is the result.

IMG_4595_zps1407c52b.jpg

After letting it cool to room temp and then in the fridge I spread on the Raspberry Chipotle topping.

IMG_4597_zpse03ff3e6.jpg

IMG_4599_zpse14cd693.jpg

And decorate.
IMG_4600_zpsd1390a64.jpg

Plated shots.

IMG_4615_zps39ede2f1.jpg

IMG_4619_zpsb4157b6d.jpg

IMG_4624_zps76df17c1.jpg

Please use this as my entry photo.

IMG_4611_zps67cb8e1a.jpg

:whoo:

This is my official entry into the Pie.
I read the category description and it said "Show off your pies"
Since Pies is plural I will do just that.

View attachment 84162

I wasn't going to enter this one because I just couldn't get inspired. After the wife said "I invited some friends for dinner Saturday" That means "What are you cooking?" Well I had a leg of lamb in the freezer so I decided to roast that. What to go with it? I found a spinach pie recipe on the net that I had to try. Cool. Now I'll have something to enter. The wife approved. "But what about desert?" she coyly said. "Look what I found in this magazine. A skillet apple pie!" I'm a sucker for anything cooked in cast iron, and she knows it.
We will start with the skillet apple pie.

Here are the ingredients

View attachment 84163

Peal and slice Granny Smith apples in the usual way. Coat in a mixture of brown sugar and flour.

View attachment 84164

Melt a quarter stick of butter in a large skillet and sauté apples until tender, about 15 minutes.

View attachment 84165
View attachment 84166

Let the apples cool for 30 minutes when done. Meanwhile make the batter that goes into the pie.
Flour, salt, baking powder,3 eggs, Bourbon, and toasted pecans.

View attachment 84167
View attachment 84168

I used a ready made pie crust for this. Roll the dough out a bit so it go up the side of the skillet.

View attachment 84169

Add 2/3 apple filling then spread the batter around. Add the rest of the apples on top.

View attachment 84170

Cook at 350 deg. for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

View attachment 84172

This is the cooled pie when done.

View attachment 84173

Mmmmm, Pie!

View attachment 84174

This was delicious! Do you like my new plates?

View attachment 84175

The spinach pie went like this.
Here are the dough ingredients. Flour, white wine, olive oil and salt.

View attachment 84176

Mix the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic for a bit.
Meanwhile make the filling. Cooked chopped spinach, ricotta cheese, 1 egg Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Split the dough in two and roll out 2 layers. Carefully put the filling on the bottom like so...

View attachment 84177

Cover with the top and carefully shape. Put a small bowel in the middle and poke fork holes all around. Seal the edges with fork close to the filling.

View attachment 84178

Trim the edge with a pizza cutter.

View attachment 84179

With the bowel in place, using a sharp knife cut the borders and turn 90 deg.

View attachment 84180

It cooked in the Kamado at 350 deg for 30 minutes.

View attachment 84181

I am all out of photo space now. Both pies were a big hit.
The spinach pie went perfect with the leg of lamb and rosemary roasted potatoes, and the apple pie was served with a caramel cider sauce.

Please use this as my entry shot

View attachment 84162

Pie for now!
You are my hero! No more words

Great job, everyone! I love that variety of sweet and savory pies!

The entries in this TD were definitely off the charts. Voting will be tough and fun. Now if someone could get their Poll Up we'd be in great shape............:heh:

The entries in this TD were definitely off the charts. Voting will be tough and fun. Now if someone could get their Poll Up we'd be in great shape............:heh:

Patience, Grasshoppa...

It takes time at my age.

Back