Discussion Thread -> " Show Off Your Pies" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Winner, winner... Bluesman dinner! That Smoked Reuben Pie makes me wanna stand up and beg for buttermilk! :clap:

I spent a few days brainstorming on what kind of pie to make for this TD. I decided on a dessert pie and I was coming up with various permutations of fruits, crusts, crumbs toppings, etc... Then it hit me on my way home from work: grilled banana split pie.

First off, the players
75zp.jpg

I read that grilling certain fruits will intensify the flavor. I figured, what the heck; let's do it.
sflm.jpg

While the other fruits are grilling, the strawberries are sweating.
gb24.jpg

Everything in the pie crust (pineapple, banana, strawberries, chocolate chips, and cherries) I didn't make my own pie crust. I'll leave that as an exercise for a later time.
958l.jpg

All folded up and ready for the grill
oba2.jpg

On the grill it goes... (sorry about the quality but I ran out of daylight)
odgq.jpg

30 minutes later, toasty brown and gooey
9c3y.jpg

I cannot see this pie being served any way other than ala mode. Add a scoop of ice cream and voila. Use this as my entry picture
hkjv.jpg

New personal rule for me: no TD entry posting after midnight (probably should include mornings until I get my caffeine levels to where it needs to be). I guess there is an edit timer because I don't see the button.

I forgot to state that my previous post (link) as being my official entry. To rectify that, this will be my official entry.

As much as I would like to have the ala mode picture as my entry picture, this image speaks to me more. It is saying "put me in coach." Please use this picture instead of the ala mode picture.
i8cg.jpg

New personal rule for me: no TD entry posting after midnight (probably should include mornings until I get my caffeine levels to where it needs to be). I guess there is an edit timer because I don't see the button.

I forgot to state that my previous post (link) as being my official entry. To rectify that, this will be my official entry.

As much as I would like to have the ala mode picture as my entry picture, this image speaks to me more. It is saying "put me in coach." Please use this picture instead of the ala mode picture.
i8cg.jpg

I am kinda' partial to this one, myself. :wink:

picture.php

CD

I am kinda' partial to this one, myself. :wink:

picture.php

CD

:shock: :hail: I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. :biggrin1:

That is more representative of what the pie looks like. I tried doing that with the ala mode picture last night with Gimp but I was clueless as to what tool to use. Thanks.

Hey Ron, would I be too much of a farker if I use that as my entry picture?

Last edited:
:shock: :hail: I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. :biggrin1:

That is more representative of what the pie looks like. I tried doing that with the ala mode picture last night with Gimp but I was clueless as to what tool to use. Thanks.

Hey Ron, would I be too much of a farker if I use that as my entry picture?

I have been known to photoshop food pr0n for TD entries, and have an especially soft spot for TD noobs who cook good entries that are lacking slightly in pr0n quality.

I can fix the a la mode shot, but I think the whole pie with a slice missing is a better choice. Hey Guerry, do I know how to pick the right money shot? :becky:

CD

I have been known to photoshop food pr0n for TD entries, and have an especially soft spot for TD noobs who cook good entries that are lacking slightly in pr0n quality.

I can fix the a la mode shot, but I think the whole pie with a slice missing is a better choice. Hey Guerry, do I know how to pick the right money shot? :becky:

CD

I was able to fix the ala mode shot (see off topic thread). I was able to leverage off the white plate. The missing slice shot is being troublesome but I am getting closer as I experiment. I agree that one is the better shot.

Hopefully once I get some resolution to the camera problems (the best functional camera is my phone :wacko:) and practice, I won't have the color issues as much.

Finally got a wifi connection, Please accept this as my official entry, while I show you my pie!
Shopping here was quite a challenge, nothing in the meat department is cut the same as in the USA. Here we have bacon, bone in pork steak and the ever popular Brussels Sprouts, garlic and various spices

Made some butter and lard dough and refrigerated overnight, then rolled it out for the base

Sliced the bacon, washed the sprouts and sautéed them in a skillet until soft.

Diced up the onions, garlic, and cubed the pork steak put them all together on the grill in a wok pan

Combined everything in a clay pot

Then on to a bed of hot coal and ash,

Off the grill

Now the final plating, please use this a my polling pic, and thanks for looking,

Adiós from Chile
Pushing south to a new cucina today,

On edit: wanted to show you how I browned the top with a cast iron skillet. The clay pot is underneath the griddle to radiate heat for browning the top crust.

Back