Discuss your equipment here!

dbhost

Knows what a fatty is.
I see this kind of stuff done on the automotive forums, and thought it would be a good idea here...

Post up your gear, How did you come to own it? Would you buy it again if stolen? and what modifications, if any you have done to make it perform better. Do you like it? What could be better?

My list...

New Braunfels Bandera Smoker. Received as a Christmas present in 2006 from my fiancee. (She loves my BBQ). If I had to buy it myself, yeah, I would buy it again. It has been very useful. My modifications so far are...
#1. Temperature monitoring system. A.K.A. 3 hanging thermometers that hang on the racks, and 1 in door thermometer. Not perfect, but gives me a pretty good idea. The hanging thermometers are a pain to clean.
#2. High Temp silicone door gasket mod. This has helped ENORMOUSLY with keeping temps steady in the smoke box. Prior to this mod, temps would swing pretty wildly with each breeze coming across the door. I could not be happier with this.
#3. Axle nut for the smoke control flap on the top is missing. It was not well attached from the factory. I am trying to figure out the size, so I can replace it with a stainless steel one.
#4. Paint kept up with Krylon BBQ Black.

New Braunfels Silver Smoker. Purchased in February 2002 and subsequently burned to a crisp and let to rust. I learned on this one. I like how simple this one is to use, but have some design issues with it. I would buy it again and mod it. The mods I want are NOT done to this one yet. But they ARE in progress.

#1. Thoroughly clean and dissassemble the smoker. Interior has been shot with Oven and BBQ cleaner and rinsed at least twice. Needs at least 2 more passes. Might take it to a friends shop and media blast it done.
#2. Use my Dremel to cut off any rusted beyond moving fasteners.
#3. Straighten the smoke chamber door. Heat has warped it.
#4. Weld in new bottom of fire box. The original is getting burned out. I have a piece of non galvenized 1/8" plate that has already been bent to shape, just need to get a buddy of mine to do the welding after I prep the surface of the inside of the fire pit.
#5. Fully sand / media blast the entire inside and outside of the pit to prep for paint.
#6. Repaint all painted components with Krylon BBQ Black, at least 3 coats. Let thoroughly dry and cure.
#7. Replace all fasteners with stainless steel versions.
#8. Install already made and waiting in my garage, replacement wood parts (Marine Epoxied Cedar).
#9. Build and install improved fire grate and ash pan.
#10. Install new Char Broil or Outdoor Gourmet in door thermometer and use 2 hanging thermometers in the smoke chamber.
#11. Silicone Seal Door Gasket mod.

No idea what make or model, but my fiancee bought this little foldable grill from her Avon lady for me. It fits in a nice little zippered ballistics nylon bag, is easy to tote around, and is fine for grilling burgers and brats on the beach. Would I buy it again? (or in the first place?) no... It's cute, it's funky, it's flimsy...

Weber Smokey Joe Silver. I originally bought one in the early 90s, that I dropped my canoe on about a year and a half ago. I have one I purchased in the garage that has not been assembled yet. I love the Smokey Joe for taking to the beach, or just tossing a couple of steaks over some coals. It is a GREAT little grill. I have entertained for YEARS with one of these. Not low & slow, but for grilling, it is REALLY hard to beat this little champ.

Rolling kitchen / cart. Halfway constructed, doing redesign of it. Basically a wooden, rolling cart, with a removable marine epoxied plywood top, a marine epoxied surface below with a drop in plastic sink, Zodi hot water system, Primus Single Burner propane stove, 20lb propane cylinder, and various shelves and hooks for utensils, pots, and pans for BBQing and prepping the side dishes.

Pampered Chef BBQ Tool set. Large serrated turner, Small serrated turner, BBQ fork, stainless steel tongs, etc...

Outdoor Gourmet heavy duty stainless steel tongs. The 24" long ones. I use these exclusively for tending fire. They work great.

Custom welded Dutch Oven platform. This pretty much completes the outdoor cooking platform. I have a welded plate steel table that I use for building a small chunk wood / coal fire, or mesquite charcoal fire for cooking with my 12" and 16" Outdoor Gourmet Cast Iron Dutch Ovens.

16x6 flat bed trailer with tie downs. This isn't actually mine, but rather a buddies. We have been known to get volunteered to do BBQ fund raisers, so we throw my Bandera, along with 2 other friend's Banderas, coolers, and smoking wood on this thing, and drag it out to the park for the fund raiser.

I know this is a lot of gear. With the exception of the Silver Smoker, all of it was either given to me as a gift or built by my friends and myself.

I have BBQ'ed for various events with my gear, including fund raisers for a friend's step son with a brain tumor, church fund raisers, family get togethers, and even been volunteered to smoke up 10 briskets for a hamfest in 2002. (Amateur Radio Operators).

Right now I just have my Big Green Egg that my wife and I bought for me as a Christmas present a few years ago. She also bought me a BBQ Guru the same year. This was pre-kid and we had plenty of disposable income at the time. :wink: Would I get another one if this one was stolen? In a heartbeat! I'm in the planning & pricing stages for lumber for a new table for the egg and should have one built by Christmas.

I have an old terra cotta kamado that I need to refurbish, but I just haven't had time.

My next smoker will be a vertical unit - either Spicewine Medium or Backwoods Party. Both are good units that are reliable as the day is long, so either will work for me.

equipment

I have a 22" kettle and use it all the time, and a Med. spicewine which to me rocks I've would've never found if it wasn't for this forum......and a homemade offset that a buddy of mine built for me with 1/4" steel (heavy) and a wide assortment of blackiron skillets and dutch oven..

You gotta love cast iron cookware! Maybe I will have to share my camp cookery secrets here... Got some good stuff for black iron shrimp and rice that is really fast and easy...

I have a ecb that I started with. Christmas present from my wife.I have not made the required mod to the fire pan yet but am planning it soon. I probably would not buy one of these again, but everyone should have to learn on one.

I now mainly use the Brinkmann smoke n pit. This was the next year Christmas present from my wife so I could start competing. Planning to build a new rack with good wheels so it will be easier to move around. I just finished de-rusting it, painting it and will be seasoning it tomorrow so I can start the Turkey season. This has been a dependable affordable way to get to contests. The temperatures are pretty easy to hold on it without mods (other than a little aluminum foil in the wholes on the ends). The main problem is the far end is usually about 25 to 40 degrees cooler than the fire box end. Have not figured out a good cure for that yet. I would probably spend a little more money if I had it to do over again and get the New Braunfels Hondo for about $30 more. It seems a little better built.
I would love to have the funding to get a Klose smoker or would not be opposed to trying a pellet pooper (even though it seems to be against my sense of fair play...(fire good) but I would love the convenience at home or for doing some catering. There are so many different things at at about $3000-4000 it would be hard to decide if the money was ever there.

My gear is all in my signature, but here are some details:
Brinkman Cimmaron Offset - It's my first toy, given to me by my folks for Christmas. Working on tuning it now.
Weber Smokey Mountain "B" - This is the oldest known WSM to exist. Earliest WSMs are supposed to have a date code of "C". Bought it at a garage sale from a neighbor for $10.00. Awesome score on an awesome cooker. Mods include Piedmont pan, handles, and a TelTru thermo in the dome.
Weber 22.5" OTG "DT" - Almost new, $40 from a "Craigs List" type web site.
Weber Smokey Mountain "DH" - $80 used from a BBQ dealer in Appleton. Almost identical to the "B". Mods include Piedmont pan, handles, and a TelTru thermo in the dome.
Chuckwagon Cooker - This is a 1/4" thick 16" steel pipe cooker manufactured in New Braunfels TX. Don't know when. It's an offset with horizontal and vertical cook chambers. Saved it from a slow, agonizing death at the hands of it's uncaring owners for $100. SCORE! Sits in the garage now, safe from the unrelenting weather, patiently waiting for me to breathe new life into her.
Weber 22.5" OTS "EI" - $10 Craigs list score. Refinished all of the wood, and it's a beautiful cooker now.
Weber Smokey Joe "N" - $10 Craigs list score.

My gear is all in my sig. No mods, nothing fancy. Just me and way too much BBQ equipment for a single guy to have. If someone steals the 250lb SKD off my deck, they clearly needed it more than I do.

You gotta love cast iron cookware! Maybe I will have to share my camp cookery secrets here... Got some good stuff for black iron shrimp and rice that is really fast and easy...
dbhost
Just starting to get into C.I. cooking. would love to seem some cooking secrets..

A glass, ice, Jack and the Harley Shop.
PARTY.
Oh, I also BBQ with my Brinkmann and my 84 Lang when I ain't too drunk.

When i saw the "discuss your equipment" headder i was a bit reluctant to open this thread but I couldn't help myself.

I have a Brinkman Cimmeron offset that I got 5 years ago. Just got to know it over the course of 9 months and then promply moved to a different city and into an apartment. So she's been living in a storage unit all on her lonesome. It's the saddest thing you ever seen. One day i'll get a house in the country with a yard where she can run and play in the sunshine. Till then i have a Webber 22" kettle with rotisserie that i got for free on the street.

The kettle is great of course but i mostly only use it for grilling. The only piece of special equipment i have is a 8"x12"x3/4" steel plate that I heat up sometimes in the webber as hot as i can get it. Then i'll take it out with some welding mitts and palce it on a little stand in the middle of my table and use it as a teppan. it will stay hot enough to cook for between 20-40 mins. depending on what we're cooking and how hot i was able to get it to start.

If i lost my cimmaron, I'd definitly get something else. In my present sitiation a WSM would definitly be an option (and might materialize come spring) Hell even an electric smoker is better than a smoker that's locked in storage.

It's not as big as I would like but then who's is?

What?

This isn't Woodpile?

Hmmm...then I would have to say...

It's not as big as I would like but then who's is? See my sig.

Check my sig line. I bot the BB Chef 3 years ago, the BWS Party Oct '06, the Weber OTG Sept '07, Weber gasser 10-12 years ago. Next up will be a Lg BGE after I move to West Palm Bch,Fl.

dbhost
Just starting to get into C.I. cooking. would love to seem some cooking secrets..

I'll have to start up another thread for that topic to keep from derailing this one. But C.I. cookware, just like the smoker, needs to be well seasoned prior to first use...

The only things missing from my sig line are two Pro Q (WSM types) and a large Green egg. Keep thinking about modifying the Oaklahoma Joe but so far am reluctant to do it.

A big Green Egg is a ceramic cooker. Here's a pic:

DSCF2081.jpg

Chargriller with side fire box.
Weber Smoky Moutain.
Two Thermos 22.5 inch kettles that I bought from Target on clearance for $5 each. Replaced the grates with Weber hinged grates,$16 each.

First real time on a Bandera .... great Butts, fatties .... didn't realize how good it was ... wish I could see (light the fire) her again.
Then, some neat 'grills' ....

Oh ... found my Big Green Egg !! She never fails me and never will.

Dang ..... that Traeger Texas 075 was the most fun ever! .... I'd take her back in a heartbeat (but kept fillin' the freezer and couldn't eat fast enough to keep up).

Must confess .... came so 'close' to ownin' that special Klose (Toyota) BYC but Mr Dave outbid me. I think that would have broken up my happy home (and my Egg) but it would sure look good out there where all the neighbors could see and drool!

Now, just buyin' new SS goodies and great lump for that sweet old Egg.

Last edited by a moderator:
See sig line.

Started with an ECB - sucked ace
Next I got an OK Joes offset - better, but still too much bbqsitting
Then I bought a Backwoods Party - holy mother of relaxation, I think this might be the perfect backyard smoker and with the guru it's pretty much set it and forget it
Recently I purchased a larger Backwoods, the Competitor - I need it like I need another hole in my head, but I got it anyway in hopes of getting some catering gigs going

Oh yeah, for the newbies who may not know (yes, daily pimpin') the Backwoods Party is for sale

Back