Dip ideas needed

I was waiting for someone to post the Bagna cauda recipe.

My BIL loves to make smoked salmon dip (I hate salmon) which he makes by first alder smoking some salmon, that has been brined and brown sugar cured. This is then over-smoked, cause he is doing it. Then he flakes it into tiny shreds, mixes it with cream cheese, adds some finely minced onion and waves it around like the best dip ever. I gotta admit, people who like smoked salmon seem to love it, and it is really simple.

If you want to "beat" them at a dip contest a few things. They picked dip as category so they got a head start. Stop looking for recipes for dips here. And most important of all never use any pre-made dressing, soup mixes in envelopes, or can of whatever soup. Bagna. Caudal made with a condensed soup? A piedmontese would shoot you. These ladies will have beat hands down at first bite. Search women dominate recipe sites for the good ones. Tastes of Home, Better Homes and Gardens sites like that. Epicurus.com covers a few sites search that to. Good luck. Velveeta for christ sake never ever use that crap.

don't shoot down our bagna recipes till u tried it. I'll put it up against anyones any day. its tried and true. .... but I will agree with the velveeta... that's nasty stuff.

If you want to "beat" them at a dip contest a few things. They picked dip as category so they got a head start. Stop looking for recipes for dips here. And most important of all never use any pre-made dressing, soup mixes in envelopes, or can of whatever soup. Bagna. Caudal made with a condensed soup? A piedmontese would shoot you. These ladies will have beat hands down at first bite. Search women dominate recipe sites for the good ones. Tastes of Home, Better Homes and Gardens sites like that. Epicurus.com covers a few sites search that to. Good luck. Velveeta for christ sake never ever use that crap.

Instead of shooting down everyone's suggestions and the site how about adding in some recipe suggestions of your own?

WOW!! Thanks everyone for the ideas/recipes. I am definitely going to kick some arse in this "dip off" Than I will be the holder of the "dipstick" until they can out cook me. Keep em comin.

From living in a house full of women the last 24 years I would like to pass on some advice about groups of women ganging up on you. When they develop group think you need to understand that when you win you don’t really win. It clear the group in united by the idea to beat you – remember the best strategy is to divide and conquer!
Good Luck!

All these dips look great and have tried some of them myself. But this may be a friendly contest right now but watch out.
When dealing with a woman do you ever come out as a winner?

Before I got married my wife and I had to go thru pre-marriage counselling with our pastor. He told me when I get married I will have to learn to say 3 things everyday for the rest of my life.... I love you - I 'm sorry - I'll do better

Good Luck

Dip-ambiguous

You voluntarily are competing against women you work with. My poor brother you lose, even if you win. You lose even more if you "win" and don't have the recipe readily available to share, pre printed on a recipe card.
This is a trick and you've stepped in the snare. Here is my suggestion. Throw the contest, surrender-lay it down.

Now that being said. Home made humus and a vegetable tray. Humus three ways mild, medium hot. It is a serious entry and guaranteed to lose, which is what you want.

#2 mix a packet of Lipton onion soup to a container of sour cream. Add 1-2 tablespoons of Tobasco. Add grilled blackened salmon filet. Mix and stir. Place in a fish mold overnight serve with bagel crisps garnished with lemon wedges. Careful though you might win with this one.

Last edited:
Yep, that's an awesomely simple crockpot dip. Brown the sausage and throw the whole mess into the pot. Then go clean house before all your guests get there. ;-)

One last note of thought! Give them something great and unexpected... Go for it were all counting on you.

This is one from my mother's collection that I've modified over the years. The original called for Frito-Lay jalepeno bean dip. This stuff is like crack.

Bean Dip

1.5 lbs hamburger
1 15 oz (or so) Jar of black bean dip. The more heat the better. You can use a can of refried beans and save a couple bucks; just adjust the seasoning to your taste.
4.5 oz taco sauce/picante/salsa (your preference)
1 can bean with bacon soup (Campbells)
1/4 cup brown sugar
(I've adjusted the following looking for the perfect amount of heat. If you go overboard, you can add more brown sugar)
1 tsp granulated garlic (garlic powder or salt will do)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp each tabasco and chili powder to taste
salt to taste

I make this dip every football game day huge hit.

1 block cream cheese
1 can no beans chili.
1 small can of green chili's
Chopped cilantro to taste (i usually do half a bunch)

Warm all in micro. Stir to mix well then add cilantro and give it one last stir.

I make this for every holiday, every tailgate, sometime just for fun and it is ALWAYS a knockout.

Clam Dip

• 1 Onion
  • 1 Cup of Seasoned Bread Crumbs
  • 16 oz Mozzarella Cheese, Cubed
  • 2 Cans of Clams with Clam Juice
  • Parm Cheese
  • Paprika
Instructions:

• Saute onions until soft. In a bowl have mozzerlla cheese and bread crumbs.
  • Add finished onions and cans of clams with juice, mix.
  • Add a sprinling of parm cheese and garlic power, mix.
  • Put in pammed cassarole dish and sprinkle with a little parm cheese.
  • Add Paprika on top.
  • Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is all melted.

Back