THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't know what concerns me more...the fact that someone would even consider getting an opinion after it's been sitting for 17 hours in a very rich bacteria growth enviroment or the fact that people would even support the idea of eating it after the fact???

It's not even worth the risk. I'd take the $50 monetary loss and the time it took to cook it as a hard learned lesson and nothing more. I don't think that you'd want the horrifics of food poisoning on top it!!!

^^^ he never mentioned temps. I *could* be that it was basically in a warmer all night, even better than being in a cambro, etc. OR, it could be VERY VERY bad, at room temperature in a bacteria rich environment.

^^^ he never mentioned temps. I *could* be that it was basically in a warmer all night, even better than being in a cambro, etc. OR, it could be VERY VERY bad, at room temperature in a bacteria rich environment.

Frome his original post:

"I left a tray of butts in the oven where it was placed to cool down."

I don't know to many people that put food in a warm oven to "cool it down"...do you?

He said he left it in the oven "to cool". I take that to mean the oven was off...no cambro...no warmer.

Eating potentially hazardous food after 17 hours of suspect temperatures is not smart...SUGGESTING someone do so is just completely ridiculous.

If you eat it and do not get sick you might be more relaxed in the future to do the same-and maybe even within a worse case scenero. This is the best time to set a standard of practice and do NOT Deviate. Throw it Out!

After posting this i thought wow i accually asked that they went in the garbage........yes I had way two many the cambro was holding 18 butts that I was delievering and the other butts that were going to be chilled were already in refrig. and these were the last ones off and i told my son to place them in the turned off oven to cool till I got back from del. and forgot about them..............

Reminded me of a Seinfeld episode

Frank: Inchon, Korea, 1950. I was the best cook Uncle Sam ever saw, slinging
hash for the Fighting 103rd. As we marched north, our supply lines were getting
thin. One day a couple of GIs found a crate, inside were six hundred pounds of
prime Texas steer. At least it once was prime. The Use date was three weeks
past, but I was arrogant, I was brash, I thought if I used just the right
spices, cooked it long enough...

Kramer: What happened?

Frank: I went too far. I over seasoned it. Men were keeling over all around
me. I can still hear the retching, the screaming. I sent sixteen of my own men
to the latrines that night. They were just boys.

Kramer: Frank, you were a boy too. And it was war. It was a crazy time for
everyone.

Frank: Tell that to Bobby Colby. All that kid wanted to do was go home. Well
he went home alright, with a crater in his colon the size of a cutlet. Had to
sit him on a cork the eighteen-hour flight home!

Back